Public folder unaccessible

Recently my MBWE (Blue rings, firmware: 02.00.15) hasn’t been allowing me to access the Public share. It began when I bought my WDTV. I was watching something off of the MBWE and then simultaneously mounted the MBWE to my laptop. From there the user access has been screwy on the PUBLIC share. As of now, I’ve deleted all users using the Shared Storage Manager web gui. The public share has full access for everyone (aka the minimum permissions). And I’ve reset the network settings via the reset button on the back. Yet the public share cannot be mounted via a windows or linux machine. Other shares that are created are mounted fine.

Using the command line to try to mount the public share:

$ smbclient -N //192.168.1.66/PUBLIC
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c]
smb: \> ls

do_list: [\*] NT_STATUS_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED
Error in dskattr: NT_STATUS_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED

I tried to mount it from the /etc/fstab and it gives the error:

$ sudo mount -amount error(5): Input/output error

I suspect it has something to do with users since removing the -N tag (the no-password tag) makes it ask for a password, and validate it no matter what I give it has a password and that the user colby is not a valid user according to the WD gui. Then it gives the same NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED error.

colby@illmatic:~$ smbclient //192.168.1.66/PUBLIC
Enter colby's password: 
Domain=[MSHOME] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.23c]
smb: \> ls
do_list: [\*] NT_STATUS_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED
Error in dskattr: NT_STATUS_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED

I’m struggling to understand why I’m gettint the NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED error when everyone is set to full access… Any suggestions.

Did you find a solution for the permissions issue you are experiencing with your WD My Book World Edition (Blue Rings)?

Regards,

Nope. Still searching for a solution.