Problems with WD and Mac. Too Many to Mention in Title

I have a Macbook Air and 3 TB My Book drive (new).

I have installed Smartware software and set up the drive. 

I want to use Time Machine as my preferred backup system

Since I instaled it a month ago, Time Machine has only backed up to it once. TM shows the drive as being the drive of choice, but it always says it’s unavailable. I can hear the drive running all the time, and it starts up everytime I start using the computer, so I know it’s paired and working. 

I use Smartware to unlock ithe drive although I would like to remove the security if that’s the issue. TM still can’t see it, although it’s listed in Finder.

When I log into Smartware only “Home” and “Settings” are availble. In Settings, Drive Settings is unavailble (greyed out). 

What do I need to do to get access to change the setting to the drive, and secondly, how do I get TM to recognize it and use it as the backup of choice? 

I hope it’s not time to return it to Best Buy…

Did you set Password Protection ON ?

Have you read the WD User Manual - it is in pdf format in your WD Smartware folder ?

You will also see an app called DriveUnlock in the WD Smartware folder

It won’t allow me to do anything. I have logged into it, I have unlocked it, etc., and I can’t do anything with it but look at “Home” which tells me nothing, “software setup”, which again tells me nothing. 

I just want to use this as a repository for my Time Machine, and I’ve already wasted too much time on it. Going back. 

Thanks. 

Reformat the drive using the Mac Disk Utility.

This will clean your drive of everything.

Don’t install any software on it.

Just set it for use in Time Machine.