Problems with Import Config

I have a WDMyCloudEX4 running 1.02.25 that would not recognize a known good drive in slot 3, so I got an RMA to replace it.  The replacement arrived today and now I am trying to copy my config from the old to the new so I can insert the drives without them getting reformatted.

I did an Export Config from the old NAS, but when I try to Import File on the new NAS it does not work.

1) I get the “Choose file to import” window and select the file, hit “open”

2) I get a pop-up immediately saying “Device is Rebooting, do not unplug”

3) ~2 minutes later, I get a pop-up “Error user Timeout … .Please log in again”, and the config is not changed.  During this 2 minute period there is no change to the LEDs or screen on the front of the box.

So what is up?  Is anyone else having such an issue with Import Config?  Any other ideas on how I can get my drives into the new NAS without getting them reformatted because I have to re-enter all the config info?

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

Did you tried resetting the new unit to clear any previews configuration?

Yes, on the new unit I downloaded 1.02.25 and reset to factory defaults before I started trying to Import Config.

Can you explain the possble causes of the “User Timeout” error?  I also updated the Web access timeout from the 5 minute default to the max 30 minutes, and it made no difference.  The error was happening in less than 5 minutes anyway, so I’m not clear on what is the cause.

OK, I tried reset with the paperclip and same behavior.

Does anyone out there (or in WD) have evidence of Import Config working?  I don’t see any posts referring to it working or broken.   If so I will keep trying, if not I will figure out some other brute force way to get my data into this new box.

mdhogen wrote:

Yes, on the new unit I downloaded 1.02.25 and reset to factory defaults before I started trying to Import Config.

Can you explain the possble causes of the “User Timeout” error?  I also updated the Web access timeout from the 5 minute default to the max 30 minutes, and it made no difference.  The error was happening in less than 5 minutes anyway, so I’m not clear on what is the cause.

It seems like the Timeout error is when it’s still rebooting and it’s trying to refresh the screen and can’t log in. I’ve experienced that just a few minutes ago when trying to import the configuration file.

Ok so just spent several hours on the phone with tech support with open remote assistance session trying to get configuration import to work with NO success.  While he was patched in… 

I made a backup of the configuration file on my desktop.

Then I changed admin password.

I imported config file and applied it. (EX4 will show “Firmware Update Failed” during this time on the LCD)

Then I tried to login using old admin password from when we did the back up.  No success

I then logged in using the new admin password I switched to after the backup was made. Successful

The configuration backup 100% does NOT work and verified with WD.  We tried to apply it via the USB port directly on EX4 but couldn’t get it to work either.  Hopefully WD will help us find a solution as I’m tired of having to recreate users, group rights, and having to issue new access codes to the same person multiple times now.  I’m not sure why it doesn’t work but as soon as they contact me back with a solution I’ll post it here.  It would be nice if they addressed this after seeing these forum threads but apparently this forum is only for users to attempt to help other users. 

Jumpman wrote:

Ok so just spent several hours on the phone with tech support with open remote assistance session trying to get configuration import to work with NO success.  While he was patched in… 

I made a backup of the configuration file on my desktop.

Then I changed admin password.

I imported config file and applied it. (EX4 will show “Firmware Update Failed” during this time on the LCD)

Then I tried to login using old admin password from when we did the back up.  No success

I then logged in using the new admin password I switched to after the backup was made. Successful

The configuration backup 100% does NOT work and verified with WD.  We tried to apply it via the USB port directly on EX4 but couldn’t get it to work either.  Hopefully WD will help us find a solution as I’m tired of having to recreate users, group rights, and having to issue new access codes to the same person multiple times now.  I’m not sure why it doesn’t work but as soon as they contact me back with a solution I’ll post it here.  It would be nice if they addressed this after seeing these forum threads but apparently this forum is only for users to attempt to help other users. 

This issue is currently under investigation.

We will report back on this thread once more information is available. 

Thanks for the info and thanks Jumpman for your persistence.