Problems using USB HUB after upgrading to OS5

I have 4 USB external drives connected to my EX2 Ultra, 1 connected directly and 3 via HUB.
After upgrade to OS5 I’m no longer able to access some USB drives in the app.
As you can see in the prtsc, the dashboard(previously I mention this as the admin) correctly detects all 4 external usb drives but the app only sees 2 of them and curiously with different names.
When I upgrade to OS5 only 2 of the 4 external drives were connected.

What I’m I missing? Do I need to configure something? Is it a bug? In the previous OS I never had this problems.

I guess it is a powered HUB ? the power brick may be having trouble starting all disks at once.

Try different power up options
ie all devices and nas on then connect the USB cables to nas
and re-boot nas if needed.

easy test is to try using 2 HUBs with only 2 disk connected to each

and try better USB-3 cables

I have never tried more then one disk unit per USB port on WD NAS units

1. many of the 2 bay disk docks in the past had driver problem even connecting to windows 10 systems.
  2. double check the watt rating on the power adapter and it is the correct one

Not a powered HUB it’s something like this one in this picture.

I can access the drives through ssh or in an file explorer. The HUB is doing is business as usual the problem lies on the client app.

I would not expect a single USB port to be able to power up four spinning HDDs.
Do the HDDs have their own power supplies or are they HDD?

Not saying that something didn’t change with the OS5 software - just saying that I have had problems in the past with standard USB ports powering multiple HDD’s.

I would not expect a single USB port to be able to power up four spinning HDDs.

Until the upgrade I didn’t have any problems

Do the HDDs have their own power supplies or are they HDD?

3 of the 4 external hdd have their own power supplies.

many USB disk units use 2 USB cables plugged into computers to get more power.

The better hubs do a good job of running high speed USB devices and giving extra power to Disk units.

a computer port will limit the current to connected USB devices so you can be right at the edge of it not working.

I have not looked as what the WD NAS units can provided and it may be only the minimum 1/2 amp

I only use non powered hubs for keyboards and mice.

The more $$ hubs have a lot more electronic circuits to support the different USB protocols and keep the hub for running at the speed of the slowest device.
A disk drive will send high speed data in both directions.

the new firmware my just be spinning up the disks different and taking more power than available.

I completely understand what your saying but in not willing to invest more money into a new powered HUB if I not sure if it’ll solve the problem. Bare in mind that is the client app that is not showing the drives.

I emphasize this:

• No problems in the previous OS
  • I can view and access all drives via ssh or locally in a file explorer

If the new firmware does things differently I should not be able to work with all the external drives which is not the case.

good point

I would try the 4 things 2 at a time and see if one disk is causing problems.
OR
My WD PR unit has 3 UBS post see if the app can see 3 of you disks that way

HUB’s have always been a pain to use for years and most of the good ones have active circuits to prevent problems with circuits that have older firmware that do not follow the current USB protocols.

Both my PR units are still OS3 or I would try more testing to help you on this problem.

Click the Share Tab, Select the USB Share and make sure Mobile & Web App Access is enabled for the USB Share. Toggle ON will enable Indexing of the USB Share image

1 Like

Thanks @SBrown that was what was missing.