Problem with WD smartware

I want to change password, after I downloaded the latest version WD Smartware Installer 2.2.1, then doubleclicked on it, BAM, it said “A reboot pending has been detected. Reboot and retry the action”. I did restart the computer, everything all over again, but not work. Please help, thks a lot.

Hello, try uninstalling Smartware and then do a clean installation of the latest version. 

1 Like

I too have the same issue.

I’m using windows Vista Business, 32 bit.

I have all my Windows Updates completed, none are left pending (I’ve read this can sometimes cause a pending restart to be flagged).

I’ve uninstalled the version of the software that came with the MyPassport drive, and have attempted to install a clean copy of the latest version of the WD SmartWare, but also get an error stating “A reboot pending has been detected. Reboot and retry the action”.

I’ve searched the registry looking for pendingreboot keys/values having been set and can not locate any.

Is this software installer looing for a particular registry value that’s triggering this error?

Here’s what I discovered that helped to resolve the issue for my case:

When I started the WD SmartWare Installer yesterday, I did not have .Net 4 installed, so the installer installed it for me.

It required a PC restart, which I allowed it to do.

I double clicked on the WD SmartWare Installer exe again to have it resume installing now that the .Net pre-req was satisfied, which is when it told me it couldn’t start/resume because of a pending restart.

When I uninstalled the previous version of the software, as per the recommendation higher in this thread, I failed to noticed the second entry in the list of applications installed by the name of “WD SmartWare Installer”.

It seems the Installer itself had left some residual files/cache/registry entries/etc laying around which was preventing it from starting/resuming again.

After “uninstalling” this “application” called “WD SmartWare Installer”  I was able to restart/resume the installer and install the latest SmartWare version.

I hope this helps someone else!

Chris

1 Like

Thank you ! I had the message about 3 times until I tried your method and then work straight away

1 Like