Problem with MKV files

Hi everybody, i have a problem playiing some mkv files, reading the forum i made a mediainfo for the file and here it is, is there any problem with the file??

Thanks!

Format                           : Matroska
Format version                   : Version 2
File size                        : 9.83 GiB
Duration                         : 2h 34mn
Overall bit rate                 : 9 113 Kbps

Video
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 5 frames
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 8 475 Kbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 800 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 2.40:1
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.230
Stream size                      : 8.94 GiB (91%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 118 r2085 8a62835
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=8475 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                         : English
Default                          : No
Forced                           : No

Audio
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 640 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 707 MiB (7%)
Title                            : english
Language                         : English
Default                          : Yes
Forced                           : No

and what’s the problem?

I forgot the most important part, the hub says “Unable to play the selected file. Please see the user manual for a list of supported file formats”.

Thanks!!

What did you use to create this file???

I’ve never seen an “MKV Version 2” file before.

EDIT:  Never mind… MediaInfo didn’t use to show that… just updated mine and now it does… :slight_smile:

haha… no problem…

any idea what’s going on with this file??

Not a clue.  It looks like a proper encode to me…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Not a clue.  It looks like a proper encode to me…

I’m not so sure. A two and a half hour movie is only 9gb in size? When I convert a movie that long to MKV it is closer to 25-30gb in size.

It’s got nothing to do with the MKV file, it is just another unknown bug in the Firmware, I have seen this happen to most of my files at random, Your best bet would be to downgrade the Firmware and try version  2.04.13

FW 2.04.13 is the only firmware that does not act like that, Anything above 2.04.13 will sporadically exhibit that error, Sorry I cannot still figure out why it works sometimes, and why it does not 

If you want stablity in playing your locally avaliable media and do not care about online services, you are better off running FW 2.04.13

Get the rollback firmware from here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center

Good luck

Miami_Son wrote:

I’m not so sure. A two and a half hour movie is only 9gb in size? When I convert a movie that long to MKV it is closer to 25-30gb in size.

Sure.  I have 3-hour SD movies that are less than 2 gig.   MKV doesn’t imply any file size or compression.  MKV is just a container.   The file size will be dicated by the original media resolution and compression settings.   And my copy of Avatar in HD is just over 12.

Hi, i downgrade to 2.04.13 and still have the problem. That’s the only mkv file i can’t play, but in the computer it plays right.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Sure.  I have 3-hour SD movies that are less than 2 gig.   MKV doesn’t imply any file size or compression.  MKV is just a container.   The file size will be dicated by the original media resolution and compression settings.   And my copy of Avatar in HD is just over 12.

Well, I convert using lossless MKV settings and my copy of Avatar is over 32gb in size and plays fine. Most of my rips to MKV tend towards the 20-25gb range. I still say there is something going on with the OP’s conversion that is causing his issue.

pszemia wrote:

Hi, i downgrade to 2.04.13 and still have the problem. That’s the only mkv file i can’t play, but in the computer it plays right.

You can’t compare how something plays on your PC to how it plays on the Hub. Different codec support and processing power between the two.