Problem with brand new MyPassportEssential USB3.0

I recently bought the above item. After installing to my Intel based iMac, kept disconnecting itself. Talking to custom service of WD encouraged me to go for a replacement to the store. I did that and the problem came up again. The message i get is:<< WD My Passport 0740 Media is in use and cannot be powered off. Try quitting applications and try again>>.

Can anyone help me. I am frustrated, also because i already own one (USB2.0) since 2 years and it backups my Macbook fine. 

Thank you in advance

Hello,

If you connect the drive to another computer do you experience the same issue?

I have the exact same problem with a western digital My passport essential that is usb 3.0.

I too exchanged it for another but it does the same thing. Western digital sent me a us power booster cable that i received today but it does not help. 

I have a late 2008 macbook pro. I have a feeling the problem is either the firmware of the drive or the computer.  But since mine is a macbook pro and  yours is an imac the problem must lie with the firmware of the western digital drive.

The funny thing is that i also have a my passport essential SE usb 3.0 1 tb drive that works fine (so far). It’s my non-se drive that is 500gb that is the problem.

I am having the same problem.  I can copy files to and from the harddrive, but am annoyed by the constant messages.  Once a copy is complete the drive disconnects itself.  I have tried this on multiple computers and am becoming increasingly convinced the hardware is not well designed.

Upon futher searching online for a solution I stumbled across the answer: Uninstall WDSmartware.  The problem ends with that.  I can now use my hardrive without the constant ejects.:smileyvery-happy:

BruceLee wrote:

I recently bought the above item. After installing to my Intel based iMac, kept disconnecting itself. Talking to custom service of WD encouraged me to go for a replacement to the store. I did that and the problem came up again. The message i get is:<< WD My Passport 0740 Media is in use and cannot be powered off. Try quitting applications and try again>>.

Can anyone help me. I am frustrated, also because i already own one (USB2.0) since 2 years and it backups my Macbook fine. 

Thank you in advance

Can you connect the drive just with USB 2.0, and does it still give you the same error message.  Or, as well, you can connect it to a USB 2 port and see if it gives the same error message.

I have 3 my passport drives. One is older, usb2 and works fine.

One is 1tb, newer, my passport essential se, usb2/3 and works fine.

The other is the problem one which is a my passport essential, 500gb, and is usb2/3.

did you attempt to connect the problematic passport 500gb by just usb 2.0, and if so does it work?

[edit]  you will have use the 2.0 cable.

Hi,

I am from Germany and i have since 3 days a My Passport. If i use the My Passport after a few minutes it lost the connection to my Mac Book.

I tried al lot of thinks to solve the problem like:

format in ntfs with mac

format in fat32 with mac

format in ntfs with windows xp

format in fat32 with windows xp

format in mac journal with mac

repair the harddisk with mac

repair the harddisk with windows xp

Produktname: My Passport Essential

Laufwerksgröße: 500.8 GB

Firmware-Revision: 1.003

Betriebssystem: Mac OS 10.7

Mac Book 2009

format in ntfs with mac

I dont buy a My Passport couse it is the cheaps. I think WD had a good quality and work good with Mac. Until now i had now problems with my:  two My Book 1,5TB, My Book World 2,0TB or WD Live. But at moment i think maybe it was the wrong decision to buy a My Passport.

same problem here with my MacBook and brand new MyPassport USB 3.0 500 GB .

nothing works . anyone solved the problem ?

It seems like I had the same problem on an 2009 mini (probably the same kind of motherboard as your macbook pro)

I solved the problem by uninstalling WD Smartware (had the last version installed, 1338) and the turbo drivers (I guess it was uninstalled as well by the WD Smartware uninstaller…)

Since then the drive did not disconnect itself (without any error message from OS X) a single time… and that’s more than a week ago!

(had the issue you described on 10.6.8 and 10.7)

now it’s rock solid!

1 Like

in fact when i firstly partitioned the disk to be able to use on mac it already erased everything inside . i did not erased the smartware by the original uninstaller but i did it manually by erasing everything including smartware.plist file in the library but i still can’t get rid of the problem …

You should reinstall smartware then use the uninstaller to have everything removed properly…

did you make sure the turbo drivers were removed as well (kernel extensions)?

Yes, uninstall the software using the Uninstaller that came with it. 

I had the SAME problem for the first 20 minutes last night after I bought a new blue-colored 1TB Passport drive, and it was infuriating. I can’t believe WD has gotten something like its own software so [Deleted]. I use it on a Mac, and will stick to TIme Machine settings and backup. I was tempted to see what WD’s own software was like, but that is clearly a mistake.

After uninstalling the software, I still see the “WD Turbo” symbol in the icon for the drive, not sure why that is, and frankly, not even sure even what means. But the drive does not eject randomly, and I am able to move my files around between the Mac and various external HDDs with ease.