Preventing shared files being deleted

Hi  - Having just purchased MBL I have a couple of requirements for my network setup but can’t seem to get it.  Please advise!

3 computers on the network all Windows 7, I want to share all my media to anybody but as I have kids I want to prevent the files from being deleted.

What’s the easiest way of doing this so they have direct access without passwords etc? I would preferably like to stick to just the default public folders

Thanks

Matt101 wrote:

What’s the easiest way of doing this so they have direct access without passwords etc? I would preferably like to stick to just the default public folders

Thanks

Can’t be done “easily.”  

You can either assign READ-ONLY priviledges to a share (which requires a user ID and password) or full access, but you cannot easily give READ-ONLY privs WITHOUT authentication.

To do so requires editing configuration files which, if not done properly, can render the MBL unusable.

But if you’re willing to take the risks, there are guides in this forum on how to do it.

Thanks for the reply… The risk of deleting my whole music collection outways any other! Do you have a link to the guide you mentioned? Thanks

There are no options for security if you want to use the public folder. However, if you are willing to create new shares this is how it would be done:

• Create the a new share

• Create the new users and assign the correct permisssions to the shares, read-only and/or full access

If you want a user with no password: create user with no password, click on user, click on “update passwd” and click on “no passwd”.

You could make the kids there own account on the MBL and give it read only access to you share.