Preserve file properties (Date Created, Last Modified)

Guys
Is there a way to set up mycloud to keep/preserve the properties of the files?

I’m a bit upset with Wd Mycloud because it is NOT preserving the file properties such as Creation Date, Last Modified Date.
Google drive and Dropbox preserve these properties, but Mycloud change it to the date that the files was transfered.

Hope somebody can give me some clue.
Luthius

1 Like

Possible to do with abuse of tar and a pipe if you are copying files.

You will have to enable ssh on the mycloud, and then do the copy there using tar.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick response. I will try it.

I need to syncronize files from different sources such as tablets, smartphones, DROPBOX account, etc. On these “devices” there are old files that I need to preserve their properties, but the WD changes it to the current date when the files are transfered/synchronized.

I studied your suggestion and for sure it works.

But I’m still think that a bult-in solution supposed to exist. It is so basic - WD staff must to consider this feature on WD’s updates.
The question remains, is there a way to set up WD my cloud to preserve the file properties as mentioned above?

Not really. A copy of a file is just that. A (new) copy. The file system is doing the correct thing when it puts the new file creation date on, because as far as it is concerned, a new file has been created.

Likewise with ownership and other permissions data. The user that creates a file is its owner, regardless of who owned prior.

TAR is used to copy entire filesystems intact for distribution and other purposes. As such, it makes copies with ownership, permissions, and creation dates intact.

It certain can be a pain in the ass, I wont disagree, but the file system of the mycloud is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Should there be an option for “archival copy”? That’s between you and the WD product team.

I am of the opinion that there needs to be such options for things like “legally required” backups for things like legal documents, etc, that these devices might be used to secure. (this is a SOHO device, after all.)

I have no power to compel WD to supply such an offering. I can just point you down the dark alley you need to walk down to get what you need done, despite the handicaps that WD puts on us. I am glad you have managed to get your files copied. piped tar can be a bit of a ■■■■■ some times, what with its byzantine invocation syntax…

Still. No. WD would have to write its own file copy program, or wrap tar somehow, to accomplish what you want. The normal file copy operations, or copying via SMB, will trigger new file creation dates, as designed.

Thanks again for your time replying my post.

I was just wondering, if Google Drive and Dropbox can do it without any configuration or 3rd party solution why WD can’t?
The principle is almost the same “Initial Source 》Cloud Server 》 Destination device”.

Anyway, once again thank your for your effort on helping me. I really appreciate it.

I bought an Easystore 2TB a couple of years ago at Costco, and have always just dragged everything manually from two Macs and some thumb drives. All has been well.

Today I noticed that the “get info” for the drive says creation date is 12/31/1969, and the modified date is 12/31/1979. It also shows correctly that the last opened date is 6/1/2020. My file dates are not modified. I’m not using the automatic backup features.

Did I just notice for the first time, or is the drive about to fail? I ran DiskUtility and the WD Disk utility, nothing is reported amiss. I have used only 100 GB of this drive which has been quietly working fine.

Thank you!