Preferred "order" for firmware upgrade/reset?

I have been on 1.02.21 for months and months…carefully watcing these boards and others for signs of a solid update - and after seeing 1.04.22_V) I thought I might pull the trigger this past Friday - but alas - it was complete disaster. Here’s what I tried…

1. I went right to the latest (1.04.22_V) via manual USB update - and things were looking good. I wandering around the interface, played an entire movie without any problems…everything was cool until I hit stop on the movie. The WDTV suddenly rebooted for no reason and after that I could not play a single piece of media. If I tried a FLAC file…instant restart. If I went to a movie (mkv format) - instant reboot.

2. I then dropped back to 1.03.49 (manually via USB) and the update applied but new issues cropped up. I could get a movie going but could not use any button on the remote to stop it, pause it or anything…I had to pull the plug to get it to stop.

After all the frustration - I went back to 1.02.21 and everything returned to normal (I could actually use my unit)…but my real question is: what is the best way to do the firmware update? All of my attempts have been manual via USB key…but I see folks doing factory resets, hard resets and so on…

Is there a preferred order (including soft/hard resets) to try and get the greatest chance of success?

I cannot believe we all have the same piece of hardware and the same firmware update - yet some breeze thru with no issues and others (like me) experience a nasty set of glitches. I would think that the firmware and the method shouldn’t matter…but I would like to get current if possible.

Appreciate any info you can share.

Cheers,

VP

Your right, you should be able to just do the upgrade and not have to do anything else. Usually, I try it that way first. However, if it doesn’t work and I was having problems like you describe, I would try upgrading like this:

Press the reset button for about 1-2 seconds.

Go into the setup menu and select reset to factory defaults.

upgrade the firmware.

go into the setup menu and select reset to factory defaults.

Re-enter all of your setup information.

I would not normally do all that to upgrade, but when you are having difficulties, it is worth trying (even though some of the steps seem redundant and unnecessary).

Scandy,

Thanks! Will get it whirl this evening.

Also - do you update manually or let the online version do it’s thing? I have been real gun shy about the online method ever since the days of instant “bricking” etc etc…so I continue to lean on the the USB manual method.

Cheers,

VP

Well, for what it’s worth, I’ve personally done both and never had an issue.

When I got my Live last fall, I did online updates as soon as it was out of the box (believing that the “brick” issue truly was eradicated)… it updated in stages, but without a hitch.

I’ve also done USB updates, again without a hitch.

Since 1.02 I’ve always done online updates (by ethernet cable) without any issue whatsoever. The process I’ve used has always been:

1. Reset to factory defaults
  2. Online Update
  3. Reset to factory defaults

blackspawn wrote:

Since 1.02 I’ve always done online updates (by ethernet cable) without any issue whatsoever. The process I’ve used has always been:

1. Reset to factory defaults
  2. Online Update
  3. Reset to factory defaults

So - no “hard” reset in your process? I would prefer to just keep it simple if at all possible.

Cheers!

VP

yup, never needed to do a hard reset… but I also never ventured with beta firmware or “custom” firmwares either =)

blackspawn wrote:

yup, never needed to do a hard reset… but I also never ventured with beta firmware or “custom” firmwares either =)

Well…I followed the install order…and the update went OK. But  - now when I play any movie and then hit stop - instead of being returned to the previous screen…the unit just does a reboot.

I am convinced it has something to do with the HDMI settings…my unit is connected via HDMI to my Pioneer Elite receiver and I can’t help but thinking that due to the video resolution (I have tried HDMI Auto with Framerate On and Off plus 1080p 60hz and the stock 720p @ 60hz) something is caused the device to restart after a media file has been stopped.

Any ideas on what resolution I should be trying? The TV is your standard 1080p 40 inch 2009 Samsung…notning special there…

Cheers,

VP

See you other post here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/1-04-22-Instant-reboot-practically-everytime-I-hit-Stop-on/m-p/153446