PR4100 Showing 0KB Available space after ever re-boot and full restore

Hello everyone. I have an odd issues with my PR4100 NAS unit. I’ve been a user with this unit for several years now, and have hit almost every single issue it has ever been known to have, and I have learned all the steps needed to get it back to functioning, but this issue keeps resurfacing.

I normally leave my PR4100 on 24/7 without letting the disks goto sleep. About a week ago, there was an unexpected power outage while I was not home, and I didn’t get back in time to do a proper shut down before my UPS ran out of juice. When I booted it back up I couldn’t get access to anything via the mobile app, or through my connected shares via 'My PC" section in Windows 11.

So I logged into my PR4100, and on the dashboard, my settings where all there as well as my user name, but it was showing “0.0kb” of space available, and all my shares where gone. I have 4 of the WD red 8TB drives installed in Raid 5 config, but it was showing 0kb available. The hard drives still showed as installed and in ‘good health’ in the disk utilities page. But it would not show me any available space or shares.

So I went into utilities and reset the unit to factory defaults without erasing the drives. Once it rebooted, I went through and configured my user name, and I re-added the shares I had on it using the same exact naming and everything was back to normal. The mobile app worked, and the shares where accessible from “MY PC” in windows.

I noticed there was a firmware update, so I went ahead and installed the latest firmeware (latest version as of 6-26-23) thinking maybe that was an issue. Once it installed the firmware and rebooted, I lost access to all my shares again, and it said I had ‘0 kb’ of space available. So I reset it again from the utilities page, and repeated the re-configuring on everything including re-adding the shares. Everything was working again.

The next day, the issue came back after I rebooted the unit. So I knew there was an ongoing issue. So I factory reset it again, re-entered all the settings and shares, and the purposely rebooted it to see if all my settings and shares would stay.

I can confirm that every single time I reboot or power down the unit, when it’s powered back on it goes back to showing “0kb” of space available and all my shares and cloud access is gone. I even went a step further, and did a complete factory reset where it erased all the data on the drives; a complete reset. I then configured everything, and did a reboot. And the issue came back again where it says ‘0kb’ available.

The only thing I have not done is the holding of the reset button on the back of the unit, but at this stage, I am wondering if that is even going to fix this issue. Does anyone have any experience with this particular issue?

1 Like

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Hey there!

Did you fix the issue?
Did you get any support?

I was having the same troubles, and tried the same things.
Here is what has worked for me:

It seems my PR4100 somehow locked it self, due to a power outage. I found out that all you need to do is entering your password, to unlock everything again.

You can find it in the dashboard (to open that, one way is to enter: http://mycloudpr4100.local in your browser [The NAS and you browser need to be connected to the same network])
In the Storage tab, you can find Volume Encryption, and there you see your volume that is currently locked with “0kB Space”.
You need to press “Supply”/“Provide” or so, and enter your password you set up at the beginning. (It doesn’t have to be the same as your login-pw to the dashboard!)
After this, your shares are back and you can access everything as usual.

But at this point it will be locked again after a restart or blackout.

If you do not want this to happen, you need to click “Modify” (on the Storage page), enter the password, and you will be asked to set a new password. And now the important part: Make sure to check Auto Mount! If this is checked, everything will be back to normal, and you can restart without getting your data locked everytime.

At least this is what worked for me.
Hope this will help, let me know!

1 Like

Thank you

It worked for me

It appears that you are encountering a persistent issue with your WD My Cloud PR4100 NAS, where it consistently shows 0KB of available space and loses access to shares after every reboot or power cycle. Unfortunately, there isn’t a short and definitive answer to this complex issue, but here are a few potential steps to consider:

Check Disk Health: Verify the health of your hard drives using the disk utilities page. Ensure all drives are in good health and not reporting any errors.

Firmware Update: Check for firmware updates. If the problem started after a recent update, consider rolling back to a previous stable version.

Power Supply and UPS: Ensure a stable power supply and check the UPS. An unexpected power outage might have triggered the issue.

Reset and Reconfigure: If possible, try resetting the unit to factory defaults and reconfiguring it without restoring from a backup. This might help rule out configuration issues.

Contact Support: If the problem persists, it’s advisable to contact quickshortcutmaker for assistance. They may provide specific guidance or be aware of any known issues and solutions.

Remember to back up critical data before attempting any significant changes to avoid potential data loss during troubleshooting.