Potential File System Error Detected - every time i restart my Passport Wireless Pro

I’m getting the red alert “Potential File System Error Detected” every time i restart my Passport Wireless Pro drive. The details of the error message are:

"An unsafe drive removal or system error has occurred. To prevent data loss or device malfunctioning, please run Quick Test from Diagnostics in the Support section of the web dashboard.

Saturday, July 21, 2018 7:12:33 PM Code 0007"

I run the diagnostics and nothing is found. I wonder what is happening here?
I even tested this disabling PLEX (i don’t use Twonky), as i thought the drive was being rebooted without closing PLEX. The result is the same.

The drive is working well apart to this, but is very annoying and i never know if there is really a problem with the file structure or not… What is code 0007? What can i do to avoid this behavior or capture more information for analysis?

1 Like

Hello? Anyone out there?

Sorry, I don’t have any answer, but I would also like to hear from other users with similar alerts. I get this alert every time I insert an SD card from any camera (Olympus, GoPro, DJI). As it happens every time I’m sure other users have the same issue. I think it’s OK to ignore it but it would be nice to surpress it, or at least remove the ‘critical’ status if it isn’t critical. I think it’s due to the fact that cameras don’t offer a ‘safe removal’ option like Windows. Maybe WD could respond?

1 Like

Guys, check the WD Knowledge Base for your device where problems like this are explained wirh suggested solutions. That’s what it is here for. You can also contact WD support, but I would check the data base first.

That doesn’t help at all… If I had found a solution would not have the need to make my post. If you happen to know where the so called answers are, then paste the link and I’m sure that others and I will look into them.

João Bravo

Thanks for your ungrateful snarky reply! I doubt you even knew about the WD KB or even checked it, but whatever, Dude.

Just try to search for the for message and see if you get anything valuable…

João Bravo

I have the same problem and I have yet to find the solution and I have researched but I have not contacted support yet. I mostly wanted to chime in that I have the exact same problem.

This looks like a fairly recent topic, so I’ll chime in.

I’ve seen this message occasionally on my MPW. Something to check is whether or not you are getting a NEW alert, or if it’s just the same alert every time you boot it up. In my case, it wasn’t giving me an alert every time I booted, I was just seeing the same one because I hadn’t deleted it yet. After I deleted the alert, I did not receive any new ones. Based on your original post, I’m guessing that you’re not getting a new alert every time - just that the system generated an alert once before and you haven’t deleted that alert yet from the log.

Just yesterday it threw a new alert after an event where I accidentally unplugged the MPW from my MacBook prior to ejecting it (in USB mode). I forgot to eject the MPW, then booted it up and saw the alert. Worse, though, is that the next time I connected via USB, macOS threw an alert message that there was an issue with the volume and that it could not be written to (could still read and copy from the device). Be clear that macOS reported the error when I connected via USB.

• Side-note: I guess the moral of the story there is to BE CAREFUL to always “eject” the drive when in USB mode connected to your computer - the ExFAT format of the internal disk is not as robust to “hot-swapping” and is more susceptible to corruption.

Thankfully, after rebooting the MPW I was able to run the Quick Test (from the support page), and that seems to have resolved whatever the file system issue was. After confirming I could again write to the drive in USB mode from my Mac, I deleted the alert.

Anyway, hope the first part of my post was helpful, and that the rest is useful data to someone.

reformat drive to HFS+ ( or NTFS?).
since i do that, i do not encounter that error message ( yet prior that, on exfat, it was many times in a week), and also system going to more stable, and much less “all lights flashes, frozen” mode…
yet, i must disable wdmcserver and wdnotifier to try beat high system load, slow responsiveness and overheat, but i must use it now for some weeks to see, all my problems is gone now, or not exactly…

also, take in an account, if your filesystem has an errors, like with that error msg, when you connect drive via USB, it has not been seen / recognized by computer at all - one led on device is flashing, and nothing more.
for repair that problem, you must start drive in single mode, open webUI, and start “quick test”, after it pass, the device mounts via usb normally…

This problem was really nagging me on my 4TB wireless. It took maybe two days to back up roughly 2TB and then these file system errors:
corruption was found while examining the volume bitmap
an error occurred while examining files and directories
chkdsk with /f or /r would abort after such messages. So, needing it only for backup and not comfortable with the lack of security on ExFat, I decided to reformat with NTFS and redo the backups. First, I moved the files that came with the disk to a local drive, then decided to run chkdsk /f one more time. I got the first error message again, but then lo and behold the file errors were corrected and chkdsk finished showing 0kb in bad sectors. So, am surprised and satisfied that the file system is clean. Maybe that experience will help someone, but am baffled as to why chkdsk failed many times and then finally succeeded. I would reformat with NTFS but it’s too much time and effort. The drive is really slow and overheats easily, and I for media I can just stick an external SSD to the USB port on my TV.