Poor picture quality when playing 720p HD video

I’ve been searching the forums but couldn’t find anything related to this issue.

I transfered some 720p HD video files to my TV Live Hub, and the picture quality is awful. The video looks flawless when I connect my laptop to my TV and play the content using VLC.

I’ve tried transfering the files wirelessly, then via ethernet cable, hoping it may solve the issue, but the picture quality is still the same.

Is there something i’m doing wrong? Or does the WD TV Live Hub have problems playing true HD content?

Thanks in advance!

i use mine 80-90% strictly on 720p HD videos, picture quality is FLAWLESS.

make sure you are connected via HDMI, mine is directly from the HUB to the TV, not thru receiver.  i run my audio via TOSLINK OPTICAL.

also make sure your settings for the hub are correct, 720p.

i have never had a problem with video quality on the HUB.

there is something wrong with one of your settings.  if they look fine on the TV thru your LAPTOP and not with the HUB, then there is a setting that needs to be changed on the HUB.

The other possibility is that they’re simply bad encodes.

What program are you making the files with and what settings are you using?

VLC advertises itself as being able to play broken/damaged files, so the fact that they “look flawless” on your laptop doesn’t mean the files are indeed decent encodes.

As brucerd says (and as many, many others can attest to), the Hub will play back 720p and 1080p files with excellent visual quality.

brucered wrote:

make sure you are connected via HDMI, mine is directly from the HUB to the TV, not thru receiver.  i run my audio via TOSLINK OPTICAL.

there is something wrong with one of your settings.  if they look fine on the TV thru your LAPTOP and not with the HUB, then there is a setting that needs to be changed on the HUB.

What do you mean by 80-90%? Is it screen size calibration?

The Hub is connected directly to the TV via HDMI, and it is set to 720p.

Would changing screen size calibration affect quality?

EstebanLopez wrote:

brucered wrote:

What do you mean by 80-90%? Is it screen size calibration?

The Hub is connected directly to the TV via HDMI, and it is set to 720p.

Would changing screen size calibration affect quality?

Sorry for the confusion, i mean i play mostly 720p videos.  8 out of 10 movies we watch on it are 720p, the other are standard DVD’s.

I think I’ve found the problem. It’s the crappy Insignia TV I’m testing the Hub with.

I just connected my laptop to the crappy TV and the picture quality is the same as with the Hub.

The quality is fine on the LG TV I use most of the time, so I guess the video will look like it’s supposed to when I hook it up with a more capable TV.

Thanks for your help!