Please read before responding

I posted this review on newegg recently and a bit surprised and annoyed by the response from WD support. My impression that whoever responded to my review didn’t actually read it or didn’t understand it. Or, it is possible that I am not communicating very well what my issue is.

Could someone please read my review and then the response from the WD support and confirm whether the response even relates to what the issues in my review were? I will happy to clarify my issues but it’d be great to have some comments.

This review is from: WD Elements 6TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive WDBWLG0060HBK-NESN Black

Pros:
I have bought many of the WD My Book drives I think since they introduced many years ago. Never have had any issues with them and so far this one is meeting my expectations. However, please read on.

Cons:
I was very surprised and disappointed to discover that this particular family of WD drives are not compatible with their backup software. I had wrongly the assumption that they would the same as the My Book series and Elements was just a new version. I thought overlooked something but it’s not overly stated anywhere that the drive doesn’t support any of their backup software. The product support page even suggests to drag-and-drop for your backups. I wish I had bought this for my Mac laptop as you can Time Machine which I think is a very adequate backup feature.

Other Thoughts:
I think the drive is fine but I am hoping that someone reads this and will suggest backup services. I’m not too crazy about the Windows backup utility and would like something a little more robust. I was considering even returning this item but I do think it’s a great price and I’m hoping it will be as reliable as my other dozen + My Books drives I have purchased. I wish I had researched it a little and saved me this trouble. I would have been fine with the 4TB My Book version.

Anyways, if someone could please suggest a good backup software for Windows 10, it would be much appreciated.

Western Digital Response:Hi Jason P.,

We’re sorry to hear your WD Element drive is not working and appreciate your time providing this review. It is suggested to try formatting in another compuer. We placed a useful link below to an article explaining how to reformat the drive to suit your needs.

“How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows and macOS”:

“Setting up and using WD Security and WD Drive Utilities”:
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=10408

“How to physically connect, disconnect, and install a WD external drive on a Windows PC or Mac”:
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=5316

All our products must pass our stringent quality standards before leaving our factory to be free from defects in materials and craftsmanship. We stand behind our products throughout the device’s factory warranty period; and would be happy to help determine the root cause of this abnormal behaviour and help replace your in-warranty drive for you. You can contact us and mention the support case below for assistance.

Support Case Number: 041618-12880274
Need Help? Please contact us at 1(800) 275-4932.

Hi dabuzzkiller,

Please check your PM.