Please Help, HardDrive failed

UPDATE : 

WD Support contacted me and escalated my case to a level 2 support, I am really amazed of how well this went as it exceeded my wildes expectations, their support was more than helpful and has restored my faith in this company from the first email.

I will exclusivly purchase their drives from now on just for the customer service I was met with.

Kudus to the support team, Thank you very much.

Hello All, 

I had my 4TB drive that is inside the WD MyCloud enclouser take a drop and fail just one week after I got it, and it just completed transfering my 1.5TB of important data which is now lost, the drive is completly dead beyond repair, so I have a 500GB drive that is enough for my NAS needs ATM, and I wish to use it inside my WD MyCloud enclousure.

Is there any Custom Firmware that I can use for such scenario? or is there a way to install a virgin 2TB or 4TB image on the 500GB Drive and have it reqognize the space properly?

I wish to keep this repair process as cheap as possible, so I wish to avoid buying another 4TB drive.

One last question, is it okay to use a non-WD drive ? the 500GB is a Seagate drive.

Any help is really appreciated, as i’ve been searching for a week now and tried to install a fresh Debian distro but failed, seems like not much custom nas firmwares support Arm processors.

Thanks.

yousefyns,

Unfortunately, a fall could result in physical damage. As such, even a possible original firmware image would not be able to be installed as the device would need to run as a whole ensuring the bridge between physical components and firmware are properly linked together.

Due to the delicate nature of this situation I would recommend a Professional data recovery service in order to prevent further physical damage to your device and your data. Please visit the following link for additional information:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/70/

I called WD already and not much help was provided, and i’ve been living for a couple of months now without the lost data so a recovery service is not needed.

I even placed the platters from the damaged drive in a new 4tb drive to recover the data (I have the tools and knowledge to do so) but the platters are scratched beyond recovery since the fall “slightly” changed the drive’s head alignment and it had sometime to do some artwork on the platters.

With data recovery out of the picture, i only wish to use the enclosure itself to host a drive and fullfill my NAS needs, so i guess my options are limited to either modify a virgin disk image to have it run on my availble 500gb Seagate drive, or buy a 2TB drive (minimum) and use a 2TB virgin disk image with it.

I can go with a plain debian distro as it is compatible with Arm cpus, but the hassle of optimizing and going through the customizations to have it run as a NAS is not worth it for me, thats why am looking for a tested custom firmware.

Any custom firmware suggestions? I really want to avoid buying a new drive, as I bought two 4TB drives till now and really disappointed with how fragile the RED drives are.

Thank you in advance.

WD Support contacted me and escalated my case to a level 2 support, I am really amazed of how well this went as it exceeded my wildest expectations, their support was more than helpful and has restored my faith in this company from the first email.

I will exclusivly purchase their drives from now on just for the customer service I was met with.

Kudus to the support team, Thank you very much.