Please help clarify these 2 errors given by SMART / GSmartControl?

My question is SMART related regarding a WD red 2TB hdd. I have this hdd for a month now and always been so carefull with operating it. But then I see this error in GSmartControl:

Can you please help me understand what the 2 errors mean. And what might have been the cause for these errors to occur?

Complete error log:

SMART Error Log Version: 1
ATA Error Count: 2
    CR = Command Register [HEX]
    FR = Features Register [HEX]
    SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
    SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
    CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
    CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
    DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
    DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
    ER = Error register [HEX]
    ST = Status register [HEX]
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
DDd+hh:mm S.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It “wraps” after 49.710 days.

Error 2 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25 hours (1 days + 1 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  – – – – – – –
  04 51 01 00 00 00 a0  Error: ABRT

Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
  CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
  – – – – – – – –  ----------------  --------------------
  b0 d6 01 e0 4f c2 a0 00      03:03:46.355  SMART WRITE LOG
  b0 d5 01 e0 4f c2 a0 00      03:03:46.355  SMART READ LOG
  ec 00 01 00 00 00 a0 00      03:03:46.338  IDENTIFY DEVICE
  ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 00      03:03:46.337  IDENTIFY DEVICE

Error 1 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25 hours (1 days + 1 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  – – – – – – –
  04 51 01 00 00 00 a0  Error: ABRT

Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
  CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
  – – – – – – – –  ----------------  --------------------
  b0 d6 01 e0 4f c2 a0 00      03:03:22.782  SMART WRITE LOG
  b0 d5 01 e0 4f c2 a0 00      03:03:22.781  SMART READ LOG
  ec 00 01 00 00 00 a0 00      03:03:22.765  IDENTIFY DEVICE
  ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 00      03:03:22.764  IDENTIFY DEVICE

Here’s the SMART report:

Hi I think that is a error caused by the smart program. Try a copy of hd sentinel and see what it reports.

HI, thanks for replying.

The “power on time” says 114 so I suppose that means 114 hours total lifetime?

The complete error log says (I think I have to interpret it that way) error occured 25 hours into total lifetime of disk. I ran GSmartControl only yesterday. After repeatedly opening GSmartControl yesterday it does not give any additional errors. But i will try HDD Sentinel as you propose. Thanks :slight_smile:

The SMART READ LOG and SMART WRITE LOG commands are described in section 8 of the following document:

Working Draft AT Attachment 8 - ATA/ATAPI Command Set (ATA8-ACS):
http://www.t13.org/documents/UploadedDocuments/docs2008/D1699r6a-ATA8-ACS.pdf

AIUI the host sends instructions to the drive by encapsulating them within a “log”, and it then sends this log as a SMART WRITE LOG command. There are several logs, including various SMART error logs and self-test logs (Table A.2, page 392), but the one that appears in the GSmartControl output is log E0. Log E0 is used to send SCT commands. SCT commands are used to set/read the Error Recovery Control timeout values, to retrieve the drive’s temperature history, etc.

So what happens is that the host places instructions in log E0 and sends this log to the drive using a SMART WRITE LOG command. Depending on the function, the host may then provide additional data to the drive by writing to log E1, or the host may retrieve the requested data from the drive by reading log E1.

The command sequence in the GSmartControl output appears to be …

IDENTIFY DEVICE - determines if SCT Command Transport is enabled and which Actions Codes are supported

SMART READ LOG - checks drive status by reading log E0

SMART WRITE LOG - writes SCT command to log E0

Clearly the SMART WRITE LOG command encountered an error and was aborted. However, according to Table 75 on page 306, the Extended Status Code of 0000h is indicating that the “command completed without error”.

I don’t understand why the command was aborted, but I suspect that the error is probably benign. In any case your SMART attributes look good.

Hello hzabkar,

I know you from the Seagate forums and you’ve written many contributions in the past which I’ve read about samsung drives amongst others. I will read everything line for line to try and understand. Thank you for your contribution :slight_smile: