Play / View any file from any menu

Hi All

So, I got my dad a WD TV Live for christmas and after setting it up this morning we have found an annoying lack of ability.

Basically the ability to open or play any files from any of the menu’s.

ie.

from the “Video” menu if you have a folder which has music or photo’s in it then you can’t open them, you just get the “unsupported file format” error. You need to go back the the main menu and select the appropriate type video/photo/music.

Is there any way of changing this?

I know it’s not a major thing but I think it would be a bit better/more user friendly to be able to open any file from any menu.

Many thanks!

Rich

the best thing you could so about this is to organize your hard drive to separate the movies the photos and your music  into differents folders. and then you should have a better experience with your WD TV Live.

i was able to play AVI file last week from the same WD 1TB external and 320GB passport. now the unit says the files are “unsupported format”… that is total “BS”, i played the file and it worked fine now it says its not supported.

what gives?

cheers

rossco

Hi, noticed elsewhere that some problems were resolved by carrying out a software and then hardware reset.

I have not tried it yet, but will later. Perhaps worth a go to see if it solves your problems.

Basically the ability to open or play any files from any of the menu’s.

ie.

from the “Video” menu if you have a folder which has music or photo’s in it then you can’t open them, you just get the “unsupported file format” error. You need to go back the the main menu and select the appropriate type video/photo/music.

Is there any way of changing this?

I know it’s not a major thing but I think it would be a bit better/more user friendly to be able to open any file from any menu.

I can do this.

of course I play from shares, perhaps you are playing from a media server.