Play from shared DVD drive?

I’m think of buying the WD TV Live and I’m trying to compare it’s features (and limitations) to other similar devices.  Does anybody know if it can stream DVDs from a PC’s shared DVD drive?  Or does the DVD have to be on the hard drive as an ISO or VOB?  It would be nice if I didn’t have to buy a separate DVD player as well.

Thanks

No it cannot see a DVD drive. This is currently on a wish list for a future firmware update. 

Thanks very much for your quick reply.  Can anyone speculate on whether WD will actually add wish list features in future firmware updates or are they likely to only address stability-type issues?  DVD drive and menu capabilities sure would be nice.  :)

I don’t know if it was the latest firmware but it appears that you can play from a shared DVD drive. The WDTV sees the files on the DVD and is able to play them. It cannot play an encrypted DVD but is OK with anything you may burn. It still only plays the individual files as if they were on a hard disc and has no DVD menu etc.

I have no difficulties to use shared DVD from WD tv live. The only problem is that you cannot use DVD´s menus at all. But at least you can sell your old DVD-drive for your telly. That´s what I’ll do next. Hello you guys from WD! Please wake up and make DVD-menu option for the next upgrade!

Fablarto wrote:

Thanks very much for your quick reply.  Can anyone speculate on whether WD will actually add wish list features in future firmware updates or are they likely to only address stability-type issues?  DVD drive and menu capabilities sure would be nice.  :)

Don’t know why you thank him, he didn’t answer your question.

You asked if one could share it from the PC, and yes you can:

You can share a DVD like you would share any folder.

However - is it playable? Not really. The access speed is way to slow, so it becomes ultra stuttery - plus you want to play commercial DVD’s you need someway to have it ‘unlocked’ on the PC.

whattheheck wrote:

The access speed is way to slow, so it becomes ultra stuttery

Depends only on Your network. not on WD TV Live

mtech wrote:

whattheheck wrote:

The access speed is way to slow, so it becomes ultra stuttery

Depends only on Your network. not on WD TV Live

Rubbish.

It has nothing to do with the network, but that any DVD drive is way slower than any network.  If the live was expecting a very slow feed it could buffer it - but it expects a fast feet - so there will be stuttering with play from a  DVD drive.

> * * *

whattheheck wrote:

Fablarto wrote:

Don’t know why you thank him, he didn’t answer your question.

You asked if one could share it from the PC, and yes you can:

You can share a DVD like you would share any folder.

However - is it playable? Not really. The access speed is way to slow, so it becomes ultra stuttery - plus you want to play commercial DVD’s you need someway to have it ‘unlocked’ on the PC.

You obviously missed my second post on the Thursday where I gave all the above info. I had no problem streaming via my shared DVD but there again I suppose it all depends on what you are streaming.