Pidrive-Pi3-raspbian-new Pi 2A PS, upgrade hangs at multicolor splash

The system was ‘glacial’ using a term by Linus. The new Pi3 was awesome until I got the Pidrive working. After doing sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade -y, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y, the system locked up.

Before the update it was slower than my Altair 8800.

The moderator says I am not registered, then how did I post negative comments about a slow defective pidrive product?

Hey there Roy :slight_smile:

Apologies for the belated answer. We are in a process of recreating the situation here at the Lab and will get back at you shortly.
You mentioned Linus. Have you posted a thread at Linus Tech Tips forum too? It would be helpful if you post a link to it here.

In the mean time, did you try connecting the drive to a working PC via the USB port and see if it’s functioning properly? I’d suggest doing some tests including the tests of WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic and see if the drive is in good health. Trying another cable and the other USB ports is also a good thing to try.

Captain_WD.

Hi, this thread was forwarded to me, so I’ll start by trying to understand your set-up.

Is this the PiDrive 314GB or PiDrive 1TB?

I assume you have it set up with Raspbian loaded on the PiDrive, with the system booting from the SDcard and cmdline.txt modified with root at /dev/sda2?

Do you have rootdelay=5 added to the end of cmdline.txt?

What file system format are you using on the PiDrive?

How did you image Raspbian on the PiDrive (WinPC, Win32DiskImager or Linux dd command)?

After imaging the PiDrive with Raspbian, did you repartition it and do resize2fs?

Can you describe your hardware set-up:
What USB peripherals are attached/active?
Are you using wired Ethernet?
Are you using the PiDrive cable? If not how long is the cable between the PiDrive and Pi?

Sorry for the wide range of questions. Hopefully we can narrow it down from here!

Thanks.

I also just had this happen, it had been working just fine until I did sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and then after reboot, it stuck at the multicolor screen.

Daniel,
Are you using a Raspberry Pi 2 or 3?. I have have this symptom happen consistently with my Pi 2 every time I do a dist-upgrade. Since I at first thought it was due to something on my end I have reloaded the sd card and re-created raspbian on the PiDrive several times. Always with the same effect after doing a dist-upgrade.

dwcsjca:
I know you addressed this question to the OP but since I am having the same problem and can reproduce it every time I do a dist-upgrade I will give you my set-up.
I have the 1TB PiDrive attached directly to a Pi 2 using the cable from the PiDrive kit.
I loaded the BerryBoot linked on the WD Labs web site onto the sd card. (I did not modify any of the config settings via edit.)
I am using wireless ethernet via a EdiMax WiFi Dongle.
My monitor is connected through HDMI.
My USB keyboard and mouse are connected to the Pi through a powered USB hub.

At the first boot of the Pi using the freshly created SD card I configured wireless ethernet and then had berryboot download the current latest Raspian Jessie and install it onto the PiDrive. Sometime before this or after it (I do not recall exactly where in the sequence) berryboot formatted the PiDrive.
After loading the OS to the PiDrive I did not repartition it nor have I made any changes to cmdline.txt which if I recall correctly points to sda1 not 2.

At this point the Pi can be booted, shut down, restarted and rebooted and every time it starts up normally. I then performed a sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade and the Pi can still be rebooted successfully. Then I performed a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade after which when the Pi is rebooted it hangs at the color splash without even getting so far as displaying the 4 raspberries at the top of the screen.

The last time I reproduced the problem I Tee’d off the output from the sudo apt-get dist-upgrade so that if it can be retrieved from the PiDrive perhaps the source of the problem can be determined.

HI, Sorry for the delay as I had forgotten all about the 3.14 Pidrive sitting in a box on the floor. No, Linus has nothing whatsoever to do with anything, but he uses the word glacial to describe things that barely move. It hasn’t moved on my floor for a long time. Yes, it worked until I dist-updated as others have found out. So to reiterate: Brand new Pi3, new Sandisk SD 16gb Class 10, new PiSwag 2.5A PS, running 5 newest / oldest PI with piaware, user since day one in 2012. What more can I say: Either fix it or give me an RMA for a refund.

Having the the same problem.
Raspberry Pi 2 using Raspbian Jessie Lite
Everything brand new
Tried different SD cards all good ones.
Plenty of power 2.5 amps for Raspberry pi and 2.5 amps for hard drive.

As soon as I do the following
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

The next reoot lock on the color screen.

Please let me know how to fix this.

Could you please answer @dwcsjca’s questions so we have more info to work with? It would be much appreciated and useful.

Captain_WD.

I think it is a Berry boot issue. Here is what you can do to replicate this.

1. Get new MicroSDHC and go through Berryboot install. When prompted for latest up grade up grade.

2. Install Raspbian full or Lite

Then do the following

1. sudo apt-get update

2. sudo apt-get upgrade

3. sudo apt-get reboot

It has then locked up on me

Apt-get dist-upgrade trashes the SD card.
Install piclone and copy your berryboot SD card and restart your pi with the copy. Then do the dist-upgrade. When you reboot your pi you’ll get the rainbow screen so unplug the pi replace the SD card with your original and power up.
I’m using a raspberry Pi 3 with a 314 Pidrive.
Does dist-upgrade try to upgrade the SD card instead of the Pidrive? The copied SD card seemed to have about 8 megs more data on it.

same problem but with normal upgrade (not by terminal)
piclone is on windows ?
I think I saw a rasbianboot upgrade… berryboot issue, but what to do?

edit : it’s really berryboot : Won't boot after disp-upgrade · Issue #293 · maxnet/berryboot · GitHub

Piclone is on Raspbian.
(sudo apt-get install piclone)
The following is from the raspberrypi.org blog.

SD card copier

One query which comes up a lot on the forums is about the best way to back up your Pi. People also want to know how to migrate their Raspbian install to a new SD card which is larger or smaller than the one they are using at the moment. This has been difficult with the command-line tools that we’ve recommended in the past, so there is now a new application to help with this, and you’ll find it in the menu under ‘Accessories’.

The SD Card Copier application will copy Raspbian from one card to another – that’s pretty much all it does – but there are several useful things that you can do as a result. To use it, you will need a USB SD card writer.