Phone Photos (SGS3) have appeared as a brief loading image at the start of every movie - huh?

My girlfirend’s Samsung Galaxy 3 has just 2 photos on it ( new phone). She is on my Wifi network. We have never downloaded the photos to anywhere. We have never used any of the phone’s sharing features.

Today, we went to watch a streamed film (streamed from my NAS) and one of her photos on her phone appeared as a background on my TV while the “rotating arrow” (processing) icon appeared, and then disappeared when the film started.

I tried all my other films, same thing. Between hitting play, and the fim actually starting the photo appears. It is definately the WD box and not the TV (a Samsung TV) as the photo appears at the same time as the spinning arrow and the FFW/RWD bar at the bottom of the screen. The photo is always behind. A background.

How the heck has the WD TV live got this photo? And how do I stop it (It still shows it with the phone off!!)

Talk about a security weakness on the phone!

If you’re quick on your fingers, can you take a picture of this event and post it?

You’re not the first person to report this.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-General-Discussions/Weirdest-problem-yet/m-p/538933/highlight/true#M30162

It went when I did a cold power cycle of the wd tv live box. But a screen shot would have been the same as the one you linked above, but just with my own photo instead.

It was my girlfriends brand new phone, on my wifi, so I have to assume the sgs3 does some kind of photo sharing without asking, and the wd tv live picks it up!

I’ve had the same thing happen to me with my Samsung Galaxy S3, it is somehow grabbing photos that I have taken and using them as the loading image between clicking on a media file and it playing. This seems to be a HUGE breach of privacy either by my phone, by the WDTV Live, or both.

The photo is definitely being copied to the device somewhere as the photo will still show up even if the phone is off and not connecting to the same internal network.

Anyone have any ideas how to turn this feature off?

this is a problem on the phone

the WD is a DNLA device - which means any DNLA media server can use the WD to render an image for play a video or audio file

The S3 has a particular problem with the DNLA service as part of it’s photo viewer

just google it, lots of post about it

as for why you only see it momentarily

that’s because the S3 sent the photo without any metadata

which while not good, in this case is good, because had proper metadata been sent

it would have appeared on screen, stoping playback of anything the WD was already playing

solution turn off dnla sharing on the S3

but you’ll still need to be careful in it’s photo viewer, it’s unfortunately only 1 wrong touch and it’s enable again

edit: and as for why it’s still there when you turn the phone off

it’s because it’s already rendered on the WD

rebooting the WD will get rid of it, the file was not copied, it’s just in RAM memory, rendered on screen

1 Like

Found the answer, you need to turn off AllShare Cast and DLNA sharing on your phone, as other posts have stated the WDTV Live is a DLNA compliant device which means that your phone will automatically share photos, videos, and music with it when it is in range. To turn it off

1. Go to Settings

2. Go to More Settings… under the wireless heading

3. Scroll all the way down and look for AllShare Cast, turn this off

4. Now go into Nearby devices, and then shared contents and uncheck videos, photos, and music

5. Do a hard reset on your WDTV Live and you should no longer see your photos showing up. 

This definitely shouldn’t be set ON by default but I’m glad I found this out sooner rather than later.

Hope it helps!

This shouldn’t just be a problem on phone.  Sure WDTV live should access a phone to open a picture or to play a video stored in a phone but WDTV Live must not load a random picture from a phone as its background, load a picture before every video clip it plays, no matter what kind of sharing protocol it uses.