It seems I’m not the only person who had this issue with the software losing the drive path information - the solution just requires an XML editor.
- Quit WD Anywhere Backup - right click on the icon in the task bar
- Go to C:/Users//AppData/Roaming/WD/WDAnywhereBackup/instances
- In there you’ll find the folders containing each of your backup plans
- Open the XML document in there using an XML editor (I used XML Marker - simple to use and free from http://symbolclick.com/xmlmarker_1_1_setup.exe )
- You’ll see a line in there saying “”
- Change the ‘unknown xx-xx-xx-xx.lan’ to the name of your drive - Use WD Discovery to remind you if you don’t know. It’s the name in the left column
- Save the XML
- Do the same for the XML file in C:/ProgramData/MemeoCommon/autobackup
- Restart WD Anywhere Backup and it should be working again
Not sure if this is a permanent fix but I’ve just tried it and it seems to be working so far!