Password problem

Hi All

I have a My Book Live and I linked it to my Windows PC first and then to my Macbook Pro second.  I was able to transfer files from both computers and I was please with how easy this could be done.  I then went on holiday for two weeks.  On my return I am now being asked when I try to connect to the My Book with the Mac for a password, which I did not enter on set up.  I can only join as a guest and not the registered user.  Is is because I use the PC to set up first ???  This is most annoying.  Should I reset the My Book, will this solve the problem??

If you read the user manual, then you are supposed to connect as a guest and not as a registered user, unless you want to access a specific private share, which YOU create. The Public share however, should be accessible as a guest.

Go to the MBL configuration page by typing it’s IP address on a browser, then go to the shares section to see if there is a private share, you can remove the password there as well.

Yes I can view on both computers as a guest in the public share.  

But as I am the only one using the device why am I not the registered user and therefore should be able to connect.  Also it keeps saying   that my network link is down or has become intermitent, don’t understand how I can sort this out.

Thank you.

There are no private shares listed only the  Public

It would seem that the computer I sed to make the first sonnection is the main one and the Mac is secondary.  What I want is for the Mac to be the main user how can I change this?? 

What I want is for the Mac to be the main user

COMPUTERS are not users.

Computers are CLIENTS.

YOU are the User (and provide whatever credentials proves you are who you say you are.)  

If you did not set up any shares, or users on the MBL through the UI, then only the PUBLIC share exists.  And ANYONE from any computer on your network can access that share in read/write mode as “guest” which is a pre-defined user which cannot be deleted.

ANY user ID can be provided when asked, and ANY password can be provided for that user.   Since it’s not a valid user ID anyway, it should be treated as GUEST.

And there’s no such thing as far as the MBL is concerned as the “Registered User,” so I am uncertain what you mean when you say that.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

What I want is for the Mac to be the main user

COMPUTERS are not users.

Computers are CLIENTS.

YOU are the User (and provide whatever credentials proves you are who you say you are.)  

If you did not set up any shares, or users on the MBL through the UI, then only the PUBLIC share exists.  And ANYONE from any computer on your network can access that share in read/write mode as “guest” which is a pre-defined user which cannot be deleted.

ANY user ID can be provided when asked, and ANY password can be provided for that user.   Since it’s not a valid user ID anyway, it should be treated as GUEST.

And there’s no such thing as far as the MBL is concerned as the “Registered User,” so I am uncertain what you mean when you say that.

I think he was referring to his computer as the user (Instead of himself) as you just explained. When you try to map a private share on a Mac using SMB then you’ll have to select the registered user radial so you can specify your username and password for that share.