Passport Ultra - backing up Changed files

I’m new here so I’m not sure I’m in the right place. I have a very basic question about backup.

If I create a folder on my PC of vacation pictures, back them up on the Passport Ultra, then go in the PC and make changes to the files, like change the names of several pictures from the camera name to a name that’s meaningful to me, OR if I copy music into a music folder, back that up, then go in the PC folder and create a new album and copy all the songs into the new album, - when I go back into my Purport Ultra and do a new backup after those changes, will Ultra know those are changes and copy over the old files with the new “changed” files?

You’re not in the right place, no ; this is for MyCloud users… But…
How are you doing backups?
What tool are you using?
Is it doing a simple file copy backup, a mirror backup, or a sync backup?

If you want your backup to reflect changes to your master data, you will need a mirror backup.
If you want to be able to make changes to either end of a backup pair (multi-master), you will need a sync backup.

I’m not sure what facilities the Ultra offers, but, generally, external USB HDDs do not autonomously initiate backups when connected; unless running a real-time sync utility, backups are generally something that has to be triggered, either by the user, or by a timer.

If that doesn’t answer your question, it ought to give you some terms you can google for more information.

This subform (My Cloud) is generally for the single bay My Cloud devices, you should probably post your question to the WD Portable Drives subforum where there are probably people more knowledgeable with your particular drive.

https://community.wd.com/c/wd-external-drives/wd-portable-drives