Passport 3TB tries to re-transfer all files after disconnect

Ow. I was on the final stages (last 10%) of a massive (375GB) file transfer when there was a power interruption or disconnect.
I restored power and found no way to “restart” or “resume” so I used “Copy to…” with the folder on the computer HD as the source and WD drive as the destination. (This was not a backup; I was transferring files to free up disk space on the computer.)
This happened once before, and in that case the WD drive resumed where it left off (in that case, about 50% through the transfer). But this time it started re-transferring the entire 375GB.
How can I get the WD drive to resume or pick up where it left off, instead of taking hours to re-transfer the same data?
(NOTE: I did get the “if files and folders have the same names, do you want to…” etc." but there was never any choice about skipping or not skipping. And the first time there was no issue - the WD drive just resumed where it left off.)

This does not sound normal. A hard drive should never resume a manual copy/paste process without user input upon being interrupted by means of a power outage.

Are you certain your previous copy was not being handled by an application able to index and resume a failed copy?

Sorry but I’m not sure what that means.

1. Previous copy of what?
  2. What application would that be? I’m just running Windows and trying to back up folders containing jpg, tif, pdf and doc/docx files.

For what it’s worth, I am having zero problems with my older Elements, using the same computer, same USB port and dealing with the same folders. The Elements is also over 100% faster (over 70MB/sec vs 20-35MB/sec).