Overheating WDTV live


#1

hi

my wdtv live is always hot especially under the set even if its off

is this normal or should i send it to warranty?


#2

sorry i send the topic in the wrong place

move it if possible


#3

It does get hot as it uses passive cooling (no fan). In standby it just drops down slightly and therefore remains hot.

(the live plus and lives etc now manufactured have been modified to make standby more efficient and are cooler)


#4

As Rich mentions, when turned off, the unit goes into Standby Mode. What I tend to do, is pull the plug when I’m done with it, but then I lose the Resume feature (it doesn’t matter to me because I tend to watch my movies or shows straight through without pausing).


#5

richUK wrote:

It does get hot as it uses passive cooling (no fan). In standby it just drops down slightly and therefore remains hot.

(the live plus and lives etc now manufactured have been modified to make standby more efficient and are cooler)

What do you mean when you say lives? Do you mean all WDTV Live units or some units manufactured later?

If some units are manufactured with more efficient standby, how we can find out which unit we have?


#6

If you see TWO WD Splash Screens while booting, you have the later one.   It behaves as if power was just connected.

If you see only one, after a power-on, you have the former ones.


#7

TonyPh12345 wrote:

If you see TWO WD Splash Screens while booting, you have the later one.   It behaves as if power was just connected.

 

If you see only one, after a power-on, you have the former ones.

When you say booting, do you mean turning WDTV Live with a remote or plugging in to electric outlet?


#8

ZenYoga wrote:

 


TonyPh12345 wrote:

If you see TWO WD Splash Screens while booting, you have the later one.   It behaves as if power was just connected.

 

If you see only one, after a power-on, you have the former ones.


When you say booting, do you mean turning WDTV Live with a remote or plugging in to electric outlet?

 

Turning on from standby.

The new deeper standby means that the unit takes much longer to boot up, in fact about the same time as if you had removed the power and plugged it back in again. If your unit comes on from standby in a short period of time with only one splash screen showing then you have the original unit.


#9

richUK wrote:

 

Turning on from standby.

 

The new deeper standby means that the unit takes much longer to boot up, in fact about the same time as if you had removed the power and plugged it back in again. If your unit comes on from standby in a short period of time with only one splash screen showing then you have the original unit.

So, I have the old unit. Do you know what is the hardware difference between old and new one?


#10

ZenYoga wrote:

 


richUK wrote:

 

Turning on from standby.

 

The new deeper standby means that the unit takes much longer to boot up, in fact about the same time as if you had removed the power and plugged it back in again. If your unit comes on from standby in a short period of time with only one splash screen showing then you have the original unit.


 

So, I have the old unit. Do you know what is the hardware difference between old and new one?

I don’t.


#11

ZenYoga wrote:

 


richUK wrote:

 

Turning on from standby.

 

The new deeper standby means that the unit takes much longer to boot up, in fact about the same time as if you had removed the power and plugged it back in again. If your unit comes on from standby in a short period of time with only one splash screen showing then you have the original unit.


 

So, I have the old unit. Do you know what is the hardware difference between old and new one?

The newer hardware revision has an extra chip that powers it off entirely when you press the power button on the remote. This is to meet the new EuP requirements. The downside is that powering the unit on takes longer.


#12

Guy_K wrote:

 


ZenYoga wrote:

 


richUK wrote:

 

Turning on from standby.

 

The new deeper standby means that the unit takes much longer to boot up, in fact about the same time as if you had removed the power and plugged it back in again. If your unit comes on from standby in a short period of time with only one splash screen showing then you have the original unit.


 

So, I have the old unit. Do you know what is the hardware difference between old and new one?


The newer hardware revision has an extra chip that powers it off entirely when you press the power button on the remote. This is to meet the new EuP requirements. The downside is that powering the unit on takes longer.

 

Thanks for answering.

So only way to save on power is to unplug the unit completely from the mains.


#13

One option is to use a surge suppressor / power strip that has switched outlets controlled via a remote. When the strip is plugged in, some of the outlets will always be “hot” while a few can be turned on/off via a remote. Belkin and others make such products.

There are also devices like this for us couch potatoes:

http://cableorganizer.com/bestlink/remote-controlled-outlet.htm

I’ve always been curious whether Harmony remotes can control these strips. If so, plug your hot WDTV into one of the switched outlets and you’re cool :wink:


#14

When I power on my WDTV Lives, all I see is a spinning wheel and then it turns on, that means I have the old one, right?

My problem is that when I’m watching a high bitrate 1080p movie, it plays fine for the first while, then after a certain amount of time, the video starts stuttering. The files are perfect, it is not in the files, and the network is gigabit, so I don’t think it’s network congestion. I think it is an overheating issue because once it happens, it will continue happening frequently. Is this a common issue?

Will the updated WDTV Live fix this issue?


#15

+1  WDTVLiveuser

Edit:

Check this out

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/MKV-issue-FW-1-03-35-V-Is-my-TV-set-a-better-media-player-than/td-p/33648