Original EX2 - what's the maximum HDD size?

Hi,

I have an “original” EX2, running the most recent firmware version. What’s the largest HDD size supported? I know it was 8GB when originally sold, but I was hoping this might be extended through firmware upgrades. I am filling up quickly, so will need to pop a bigger drive in.

Best,
Josh

According to the support website, maximum capacity of the My Cloud EX2 is 12 TB ( WDBVKW0120JCH )

https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=906&lang=en

Is that the maximum capacity, though, or just the capacity (2 x 6TB) that it ships with?

Good question. The link above is to an older document that only goes up to 2x4TB. There’s a posting on here confirming that 2x8TB will work, even if not officially recognized.

Anybody tried higher capacities?

Well, I ordered two 10TB WD RED drives and they arrived today. I installed them in my MyCloud EX2 (non-Ultra) and got red lights on both drive LEDs. Not sure if that’s normal, because the drives were fresh, unpartitioned and unformatted(?) Anyway I went ahead and set them up as a RAID 1 array and the drives were partitioned and formated and… Two blue lights! The array is showing up as 10 TB. I’ll play some more with the system over the next few days but my initial thought is, yes, the MyCloud EX2 can handle 2x10TB drive…

I know this is a dated post from over 2 years ago but wanted to provide info if it may prove helpful for other owners. Just replaced the 4TB drives with WD 14TB (WD140EDFZ) and it works. As noted above by sktn77a, partition the drive as JBOD or RAID under the STORAGE tab. Otherwise the recognized drive will not function (i.e. no folders setup for access). Glad to get some more usable life out of the original EX2!

2 Likes