One Question Before Purchase

Planning to buy WD TV LIVE HD Media Player. The main purpose is to watch movies downloaded through torrents on my 32" Sony Brivia LCD EX-400 series. My question is that when I play these Divx/Mkv movies on my Laptop thorugh some media player like Windows media player or VLC I have to select “Full Screen” option to watch in full size, does these downloaded movies will also play full screen size on my LCD TV or in actual small size?

Plus I live in a country where outside tempreature in summers is around 44 degree Celcius while indoors without AC its around 35C. Will this product work for me as it says max operating temp is 35C?

Of course the movies will play full size. How can you even imagine it playing small on a large TV?

Also, keep your wD TV Live out of the sun, and keep all air vents open and not blocked. Make sure it’s in the shade. If you want to use it during a very hot day probably turn on your air condition just to be safe.

There have been some posts which suggest  that the unit hangs when it gets too hot. I can’t say if that is true because I live in England where the temperature never reaches 30c indoors.

Thanks. I am confused that should I buy this unit or not, as this forum is full of users complaints about this product. My main purpose is to watch movies (mostly in .avi, .mkv and mp4 format) downloaded from torrents (file size from 700MB to max. 4GB) on latest Sony Bravia full HD EX-400 LCD. Any guidance / views will help me a lot as one of my friend will bring it for me from Germany (product not avialble in my residing country and threfore I cannot avail any Guarantee afterwards).

Also, depending on your plasma, if you play a Widescreen movie you might still get letterboxes at the top and bottom of the screen - this is due to the 16:9 aspect ratio, unless your TV is that ratio then you will have the black bars on some movies.

ibne101 wrote:

Thanks. I am confused that should I buy this unit or not, as this forum is full of users complaints about this product. My main purpose is to watch movies (mostly in .avi, .mkv and mp4 format) downloaded from torrents (file size from 700MB to max. 4GB) on latest Sony Bravia full HD EX-400 LCD. Any guidance / views will help me a lot as one of my friend will bring it for me from Germany (product not avialble in my residing country and threfore I cannot avail any Guarantee afterwards).

If you go to any forum about any product all you will find are people with problems – it’s kind of like visiting a hospital (if you did, you’d think there were no healthy people in the entire world).  People don’t come to a forum to tell you how wonderful things are (which they are, for me and many others).

Unfortunately, the media player category isn’t perfect (then again, what is?).  Trying to play a wide variety of file formats on a hardware device that can’t get easily updated (unlike a computer) means that there will be compromises.  As long as the files you are attempting to play are well authored and conform to normal standards there shouldn’t be problems, but since you are downloading from the web almost anything can be out there and you may have files that won’t play properly on nearly any device you buy.

The only thing I can tell you for sure – there aren’t better devices out there in this price range (there are probably some that are equal in both quality and abilities, but have their own issues just as the WD Live has issues).  Ultimately the only thing you can do with anything like this is pays your money and takes your chances.

1 Like