Old files overwritten when new ones added

I’ve been using two different WD drives for my photos from over the years (My Passport Ultra and Elements). Every now and then my phone gets full and I need to add new ones to storage and empty my phone. (They also go to Google Photos, luckily, but I wouldn’t trust that alone.) I’m sure you get the idea. The mass of old files too big by now to keep on a laptop hard drive so all I can and need to do is add new files to the external drive. The laptop/computer I use as a medium for this has changed over the years so the original folder structure of the first backups no longer exists.

Is it really true that I need to sync EVERYTHING I want to include on the external drive every time I back up? Can’t just add new files?

If so, this makes no sense to me as I only want to add new ones - and would assume so do most others. The thing is, I just discovered that both drives now hold only the most recent photos I’ve added from the past couple of years. All the rest have been wiped in the previous backup. If it wasn’t for Google Photos, I would’ve just lost 15 years of memories in photos.

Hi @niinushka,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Will do, thanks!