Old Drives Not Recognized

I have three old G-Drive devices that are 10+ years old which have sat in a fire safe in a powered off state, wrapped in bubble wrap for at least 10 years of that time.

I attempted to plug one into my PC using the USB 2.0 port on the drive, and my Window 10 PC pops up an error message stating the drive is not recognized.

All three drives are model GDRENB30001BAB, 3 TB capacity. They have 2 FireWire800 ports, 1 eSATA port, and 1 USB 2.0 port on the back, along with a DC IN power receptacle. I have all the original cables.

They have additional labeling that identifies them as “SDMA2011102601_DRV0#” where # is 1, 2, or 3. I think this labeling is specific to the use case, but I’m not really sure what it would mean, if anything, about the data on them(probably nothing).

The data on them is most likely an archive copy of some historical records from the 1950s - 1960s that were converted over from VHS(which were themselves likely converted over from original film). It’s possible there is some other data on them, but I think the bulk of the capacity is in some video format or another. I think they were saved with as much data as possible for the time, on purpose, so it may only be 6-10 hours of video.

Any other advice on how best to proceed is welcome and appreciated.

1 Like

Hi @Preresof ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

I was able to locate an old copy of WD Smartware Pro from CNET. This program appears to contain drivers for these old drives. After installation, I was able to open the drives normally. I’m a little surprised the support page for these drives doesn’t at least contain the needed drivers. Shame on WD.

https://download.cnet DOT COM /wd-smartware-pro/3000-2242_4-75940435.html

This really shouldn’t be necessary to obtain drivers.

Exact same issue. Did you get any support that helped?