Ok, im confused, wd 2 go morphed into wd my cloud and thumbnails

Hi,
Hoping someone from WD might explain this for me. Wd 2 go has been rebranded wd my cloud. Thats fine, the bit im confused over is thumbnail support.
First, the link specified doesnt seem to go to anything about my cloud.
The only real cloud reference on their product page really related to MBL and MBLD. However the app update specifically states thumbnail support is available on my cloud personal cloud storage (ie MBL MBLD is what the website states is personal cloud storage) however it then states thumbnail support is excluded on MBL and MBLD. Confused anyone?
Cheers
Miles

The new apps (both WD 2go and WD Photos have been updated) are launched with a new product:  The WD My Cloud NAS, which is featured here:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140

Thanks tony :slight_smile:

I suspect the time zone thing being in NZ meant i was just a bit quick off the mark looking. Make sense now

Thanks everyone.
But how about the thumbnail functionality on WD My Book live and duo? What’s the reason this is not supported?
Makes me feel like my 6 months old product is now obsolete…

Same reason last year’s iPad 3 doesn’t get the same features as the 5-months newer iPad Mini, iPad 4th Gen, or iPad Air… 

It’s called Product Differentiation.

I have no issues with product differentiation, i do have issues when a company moves to minor fixes only for a relatively new product. Which seems to be the case with WD on the duo. Ie apple released ios 7 for the iphone 4, how many years old is that device? To date, there doesn’t seem to be any new releases for the duo other than pretty minor stuff.

darkstar wrote:
I have no issues with product differentiation, i do have issues when a company moves to minor fixes only for a relatively new product. 

You just contradicted yourself. :slight_smile:

I dont think so, perhaps product differentiation has a different meaning to me. For instance, it would be like siri on the iphone 4s, both iphone 4 and 4s is running ios 7, however siri only runs on the 4s+. So they have not dropped significant product improvements for the 4, but they are making certain, mostly hardware, related things product specific. Happy to be proved wrong, but to date it doesn’t seem WD is going down this path, which is pretty disappointment and doesn’t breed loyalty IMHO . Would be great if they piped up here on this forum with their plans if I’m wrong.

darkstar wrote:
So they have not dropped significant product improvements for the 4, but they are making certain, mostly hardware, related things product specific. 

So, you don’t think that the addition of thumbnail support only on the cloud might have something to do with the fact that the Cloud has a dual-core and faster processor?    Since every file has to have its contents transcoded into the thumbnail format, is it not beyond the realm of belief to think the Duo and MBL might not be reasonably up to the task?

Could be, i remember you’ve mentioned this before and i can see your point. This isn’t my concern however (just a bit annoying but can live with it), its more they haven’t made any significant updates to the duo for around six months, with just a minor release, will this be how thing are going forward, or will they continue to enhance their product within limitations of hardware.

You bought the product with its advertised features. I wouldn’t expect anyone to add new features but bug fixes only.