Occasional failure to start from standby

Hi all,

Currently running the latest firmware, but this has happened in previous firmware as well.

Once in a while the WDTV would fail to start from standby. Pressing the power button on the remote does not appear to be doing anything. The only way to get the device to start is via powering off at the wall.

Does anyone know what is causing this or how this can be avoided?

I was experiencing this also.  I just leave the thing on all the time–end of problem.  Why turn it off?

MarkJ wrote:

I was experiencing this also.  I just leave the thing on all the time–end of problem.  Why turn it off?

To save power.

Does it make a difference if it’s standby or deep standby (press OFF > 5 secs)?

I have not tested this with deep standby, but I suspect this fault wouldn’t occur as a deep standby is essentially a full power off.

To save power! Are you aware of how much power you would “save”?  Geez, a thousand watts for an hour costs about ten or fifteen cents at most.  Check out how much the MAX power the wall-wart for the SMP could deliver.  It’s ridiculously small.  Why not just imagine your SMP costs a tiny bit more and spread that cost out over a bunch of years?  I’m sure you’ll find the SMP worth it. Open your refrigerator a couple of fewer times a year and leave your SMP on.

Is the front light on or does it fail to power on at all?  I am running into a problem often when I get a blank screen at startup.  The problem is that for some reason the HDMI video output is stuck on 720P/50Hz even though I have the output resolution of the SMP set at a fixed 1080i/60Hz.  To get it to recover I have to do a full power off of the SMP (hold down on power button) and even then when I turn it back on it takes a long time to switch to 1080i.

cncb2 wrote:

Is the front light on or does it fail to power on at all?  I am running into a problem often when I get a blank screen at startup.  The problem is that for some reason the HDMI video output is stuck on 720P/50Hz even though I have the output resolution of the SMP set at a fixed 1080i/60Hz.  To get it to recover I have to do a full power off of the SMP (hold down on power button) and even then when I turn it back on it takes a long time to switch to 1080i.

No, the front light is not on. I think it gets itself in a state where it becomes unresponsive and fails to power up.