No Subtitles over Media Server

I have attached on my router (Asus DSL-AC68U) a hdd and when i try to play a file with external srt either through media server or network share source the subtitles are not displayed. By pressing the subtilte button on the remote nothing happens and the subtitle is set to off. i have enabled subtiltes by default to on. I have no problems when i play the same  files on a local storage. i have the latest firmware 1.02.17

Hi stefanos_79, welcome to the WD Community. This happens because the media server is not making the subtitle available, in order for it to work the subtitles must be encoded on the video file. 

Thanks for the quick answer. I understand what you say but the weird thing is when i use Plex as media server on my PC the external subtitles are displayed normally. Additionally when i play the same files from my blueray player i have no problem with external subtitles. So is it a matter of the media server its self or the software of the WDTV?

After couple experimentations i managed to play my files from my hdd attached on router. The first thing was to save my external .srt subtitles with enconding UTF-8 and not ANSI which had the most .srt files. The second step is to access my files using as source content  Network share->Windows Shares. If i choose as content source Media server the problem remains and the external srt cant be read. 

I hope this could help friends with the same problem :slight_smile:

Pretty much all my SRTs are ANSI and they all work fine (over network shares).

Hello all, I am having the same issue with external subs (.srt in particular) not streaming over media server. I am using Kooraroo Media Server and my blu-ray player, which is an oppo brand, works just fine with the external subs streaming from Kooraroo. From what I gather in this thread, there seems to be an issue with WD TV’s media server not streaming external subs? I don’t want to have to go through extra steps/trouble of embedding a subtitle for every MKV file. I also like how well the media server works with my kooraroo media server so I have no desire to use WD TV’s Network Server either to play the external subs.

I hope Western Digital is looking into the issue of Media Server not being able to stream these external subs and be able to resolve this issue and post a new firmware as soon as possible.

Does anyone know if WD is working on resolving this issue at all?

Cheers,

Morden

Morden_B5 wrote:

there seems to be an issue with WD TV’s media server not streaming external subs? I don’t want to have to go through extra steps/trouble of embedding a subtitle for every MKV file.

Apart from the fact that a simple batch will do that, there is no media server on the WDTV. The media server is whatever you are using on the other end and the WDTV does NOT play external sub when accessing it via the DLNA protocol. But since you simply can connect to network shares via the SMB protocol and have external subs, WD won’t certainly do anything to resolve this issue ever.

I use PLEX media server installed on a WD DS6100 and I am able to stream my movies with the .srt files embedded just like a MKV file.

Which is what I wrote above: embedded files over DLNA are fine on the WDTV, external are not.