No right to reply message, why?

Hi, all:

I’m just wondering why for some of the messages, I’m not able to reply?

For example:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/Cannot-Login-to-Live-Book-once-I-Leave-my-Hourse/td-p/353171

The Reply button is just gray.

Best Regards

Pei

Probably because the thread is old.

Tony is correct.  After threads get a certain age without response we close them. 

A very bad idea. You closed the thread  entitled  ‘Re: New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.11.12-060 (6/26/12)’ when you released the new firmware earlier this month.

That thread contained information about MyBook Live inoperability with Cisco E4200 routers, a problem acknowledged by WD. The new firmware does not fix this problem. That should be clearly stated in the release notes, and in the thread that contained the original information.  By closing it, there is no way to do that, or to follow up on the acknowledged problem with the specified router. In fact, WD has advised owners of this router to disable remote function. Will this problem ever be fixed? The remote functions are worthless without a fix. A great way to stonewall and confuse, but not a great way to serve WD customers. I’ve already had several people with this router ask about the MBL. I’ve been telling them not to buy it, because it doesn’t work with their router.

No, the reason the threads are closed is part of our process.  The threads I create for each firmware release are for the purpose of tracking the progress of that update.  This is for the product people to track it.  Once a new firmware gets released, that thread will no longer be followed, so it is closed.  If the issue continues in the new firmware, then it needs to be posted in the new thread.

Your process is flawed, because all of the problems reported in the thread for the previous firmware release become orphaned whether they were fixed or not. Are we supposed to assume that any problem not documented as fixed in the release notes is still a problem? You need a thread that contains reports of known/acknowledged/documented problems in whatever the current release is. The release notes should contain a section titled ‘Known Problems’. Also, you should put a link to the new firmware release in the old thread. Trying to hide bugs only aggravates your customers.

It’s not about hiding anything.  We, actually I, created these threads for the purpose of tracking user experiences with software and firmware updates, and keeping them in one place so they can be easily referenced.  I can guarantee you that anything that looks like a bug is passed along, and if it can be reproduced, it’s put into our system for review. 

If an issue can’t be reproduced, then we try to contact the users with the issue to get further information.  Much of the time, people don’t respond.  When that happens we let it drop.  So, when you see people complain about things that are individual issues, and they don’t appear to have been dealt with, that’s because they haven’t.  And they won’t be, because we can’t even reproduce them. 

If an issue crops up, but doesn’t show up in the release notes on the next release, then it’s not fixed yet.  You need to understand that the community lets us know if a fix actually is fixed, and if it isn’t. They also are quick to remind us that something still hasn’t been fixed.  So, it’s not like we’re getting away with anything.  The process we have in place is working for us, and it’s not going to change.  Well, unless we figure out something better.  But, in any case, old firmware threads are closed and they will stay closed.

Threads that signal a bug should be closed only after solution.This forum seems to be poorly managed … 

I’m sorry if you think it’s poorly managed, but that is the process we follow. 

1. After a new firmware release, I close the thread for the previous firmware.
  2. After threads sit for a few months without any responses, they get closed out.  As a matter of fact, this topic should have been closed out long ago.  I somehow missed it. 

Keep in mind that you are always welcome to start a new topic.