No more access to database or via SSH - permission denied

Without having changed anything on the My Cloud EX Ultra with OS 5, since today I can neither connect to the database via phpMyAdmin nor access the My Cloud via SSH with the console.

When I try to log in via phpMyAdmin as usual with root and blank password, I get the error message:

mysqli::real_connect(): (HY000/2002): Connection refused.

When I try to log in to the My Cloud NAS via SSH, I always get access denied despite having the correct password.

I have updated the firmware to the latest version 5.25.119, hoping that rebooting the server will solve my problem. I’ve also disabled and re-enabled the SSH service and database via the My Cloud web frontend several times, but that doesn’t change the fact that I can’t connect to either the database or the server via SSH.

And since I can’t connect to the server via the console, I can’t look anything up and I’m blind since the web console only states that all services are running error free.

Any idea what I could do? Thank you in advance.

Hi @aheck1969,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

hahah. Please let us know if the Technical Support team supplies any useful information.

Has the device rebooted recently?
If so - - -likely the root password was reset.

Default login name is “sshd” (used to be “root” in some versions)
Default Password on the old OS/3 was “welc0me”. Note the use of “zero”
You can also reset the password from the Dashboard, under General: Network (in the old OS/3 - - > probably didn’t change with OS/5)

Sorry for the late response!

I was able to “solve” the login problem via SSH when I figured out that the user is not root, but sshd :roll_eyes:

But that’s some other story with the database. After about a week I received a response from WD support to my inquiry. The expert recommends me to uninstall phpMyAdmin and reinstall it. A strange suggestion, it seems, because I could not communicate with the database via SSH either and had described this in detail to the support. For example, it showed that in the partition of the database already 912 of 928 MB were full. A mysql_reset.ph -r on the console, as suggested by WD somewhere in the help pages, also resulted in an ERROR 2002, as did the command mysql -u root:

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'

This does not look like a problem of phpMyAdmin, but that the DB is not there or corrupted.

Nevertheless, I deleted phpMyAdmin and reinstalled it. Of course with the same error as before:

mysqli::real_connect(): (HY000/2002): Connection refused

Since I’m not well versed on the console and also a mysql_reset fails, I don’t know how to solve the problem. :confused: