No FF/FR on some files (Using a DIGA Panasonic Recorder)

Issue still in 2.02.32 (signalled some time ago, but I understand that has been lost. It was there at least with previous 2 SW updates).

For some files generated by a Pana BWT-735 recorder, feature like of fast forward/rewind skip to desired position don’t work.

You can only stop the video. This happens regardless the file is played from the USB, or on the top of the WD media client.

Somebody has noted that there is something wrong with the files, but it works OK with all the media clients I have tried (e.g. VLC, XBMC)

Here a link to the file https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59610949/La%20Domenica%20Sportiva1.tts

Hello,

What is the file extension of this videos?

I have used windows 8 to download/copy from the the DIGA. This is the file extension I have got. I have had to rename (e.g. to .m2ts, avi, etc) to play it directly or on the top of the DLNA client on WD TV.  

your .tts file plays OK on the WDTV but as you say there is no seek and ff/rewind. Trying to remux it directly with mkvmerge throws up the following error “Error: Found B frame without second reference in a non closed GOP. Fix the MPEG2 video stream before attempting to multiplex it.” which is presumably why the WDTV can’t ff etc.

However if you demux it first into the *.m2v video stream and *.mp2 audio streams, mkvmerge will mux it as an mkv file which can be ff’ed and rewound etc. in the WDTV. I can’t see any other way of achieving this otherwise.

Another way is to rename it to m2ts and then remux it in TSMuxer. From there on you can even remux it to MKV without any demuxing.

Thanks for indicating how the fiel can be fixed. But it has little value to me: I record with my DIGA in the dining room and then I play with WDTV in the kitchen. I cannot even know whether the file has this problem, as it appears an an issue for WDTV only.

You may say it is a DIGA fault - maybe related to some lost DVB-T frames lost -, but this file works fine on all the other media players I have tried!

So what? Other players are software based and DVD recorders are known to have fishy encodes. People recommend “fixing” DVB encodes with ProjectX all the time.

Techflaws wrote:

So what? Other players are software based and DVD recorders are known to have fishy encodes. People recommend “fixing” DVB encodes with ProjectX all the time.

Sorry, I had not realised the hw nature of WDTV decoding.

The most straightforward solution I have verified is to use DIGA functions for converting video. It is enough to convert from the Direct Recording (which is basically a copy of the DVB-T stream) to another HD format and the problem disappears. Main disadvantage is that you have to wait the time of the recording.