No DTS?

Hi!

I have a WD TV live which bought 3 years ago. It does’t have any update for almost 1 year and the last update is worst than the previous version (for instance, some files take more than 30-60s to load).

Now I also want to start using Netflix, so my old WD TV live needs a retirement. I went to the WD page and I found the WD TV play which seems very nice (and cheap too)! Fortunatly I watched a youtube review and learned that the WD TV Play does not decode DTS audio!

It is ironic, because I bought my first WD TV live as my TV does not decode DTS audio! So instead of evolving, Western Digital is going backwards? How is that possible!?

Now I have two options: I buy a WD TV live streaming, which was launched in 2011 and probably will only have support and updates for 1 or 2 years from now or I can buy another brand’s media player.

Kind regards,

Américo

adias wrote:

So instead of evolving, Western Digital is going backwards? How is that possible!?

It surprises you that a device with an MSRP $60 less than the Streaming Media Player would have fewer features?

MSRP of the WD TV Play:  $69. 

MSRP of the WD TV Live:  $129.

I understand that WD TV play is cheaper so it as less features. My problem is that it doen’t fit my needs so a need to buy another media player. The WD Live Streaming is a good candidate but it was launched in 2011 and I’m afraid it becomes unsupported soon as my old WD TV Live (1st gen).

I am not sure exactly what you want. Your original post is more of a statement. Yes WD did release a cheap media player which is not as good as the live streaming, I assume that they thought there was a market for it. Yes the live streaming is a bit old and its likely the support will soon end. No they have not announced a new better player. 

So you can either take a chance with the live streaming, wait and hope that WD annouce a new improved player or look elsewhere. 

You could also consider using two players to fulfill your requirements. A cheap player maybe just for netflix.