No Capacity shown on Dashboard

My WDmycloud does not show the capacity on the Home Page of Dashboard, just a dash shown.  

Is there something I need to switch on?

Whenever I log into Dashboard there’s a dash indicating capacity. After a little while the correct capacity is populated. I attribute the delat to a relatively low powered cpu in MC.

Go to Settings - Media then click on DNLA  Database  Rescan

Thanks folks,   I don’t know how you did it but after three weeks of nothing but a dash in the capacity box I read your reply and hey presto the figures were there without needing to do anything!!!

We’re good, you see… :wink:

A lot of people forget that the programs runing MyCloud are based on Debian Wheezy.

If you run a linux operating system on your computer (as I do) when you change something it is not uncommon

to have to update or even reboot the system for the changes to take effect

That’s true, but it would be poor programming practice, given that the UI is not Linux (even if it is running on a Linux machine). UI actions should not require manual reboots to take effect; if a reboot is needed for a change to take effect (and it really shouldn’t), then it should be done automatically (after warning the user, of course).

Ididn’t suggest a reboot , just a rebuild of the data base

Not Linux just good old Windows - Windows 10 in my case  

peterww wrote:

Not Linux just good old Windows - Windows 10 in my case  

Windows 10 is displaying the results of a web query to a Linux machine (My Cloud) running a web server application (probably Apache). It’s really no different that your Windows 10 using an internet browser accessing www.weather.com

Ididn’t suggest a reboot , just a rebuild of the data base

I was responding to your later comment:

“it is not uncommon to have to update or even reboot the system for the changes to take effect”

Rebuilding the DLNA database simply tells the Twonky server to rebuild its database of media. The DLNA media scan is distinct from the capacity measure, which is simply ‘how much data (of all types) have I got on my drive’. Since Twonky only looks at media, and can be told to exclude directories, and only look in certain folders that contain data, Twonky would not return a correct capacity value when it rebuilt its database: it would miss a lot of files.

Whether WD have coupled a capacity refresh to DLNA database rebuild is a moot point; it wouldn’t be a sensible thing to do, since, as noted above, media is only one type of content stored, and there is no intuitive link between media database and drive content (it;s like asking Windows Media Player to tell you how much data is used on your C drive). You may also have the media server turned off, so it would not do a scan…