No blue light

My My Book World (Blue Rings) warms up, makes soft spinning noises and an occasional gentle, short ‘clunk’ (there is no clicking). All appears to be working as it always has done as I’ve always heard these sounds. But there is no blue light. The blue light never comes on and I cannot connect to the drive; it no longer appears on My Computer.

I’ve tried disconnecting the Ethernet cable, reconnecting and waiting a couple of minutes to no avail.

I cannot switch off the drive by pressing the unlit button; nothing happens. Pressing the button seems to have no effect when booting up the device. Whenever I attach the power cable, the soft whirling of the disk and the occasional gentle ‘clunk’ can be heard.

Please help me in returning my My Book World Edition to its normal operating mode.

Thank you, 

quellaverde

I have the same issue with mine that started yesterday.

I can hear the drive spin up but no blue lights or ethernet activity.

Would placing the drive in a similar unit be worth trying ?

I’ve just this minute received a reply from WD - on the eleventh working day after my query when they tell us they’ll answer in four working days.

Good luck :

Dear quellaverde,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is [Deleted]
We apologize for the late reply to your message.
We would like to advise you to have the power off for 1 day and see if that solves the problem.
That means the temperature is getting to high and is not willing to start trough.

Than take of the data and save it somewhere else.
Because this drive is no longer in warranty we can no longer exchange the drive for you.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
[Deleted]
Western Digital Service and Support

… very sorry, oxter, I should have thought of - and deleted - that myself.

Any news on that one? I have the same issue after triggering a firmware upgrade in the webinterface of the drive yesterday. I let the disk do its job over the night which should be enough time. Unfortunately today there is no response from the disk. My router doesn’t recognize the device on its port either. No lights on the ring.

Another question. Does anyone have a current firmware for the WD5000G032? WD not even offers an old version. That’s really poor for the guys if you ask me.

Thanks for your help.

Manfred.

I am having the same exact problems.  I cannot even connect when attached directly to my laptop via Ethernet port.  What are the problems and can anything be done to recover.  I have this feeling whatever was on the drive (of which was important) is now lost.

Any advise would be appreciated.

I also ran into this problem couple of months ago, i took it out of the Blue light enclosure and decided to buy a new enclosure instead by sunbeamtech. device manager still sees it but i cannot find anything in disk management or my computer. i will create a new thread about my problem in more details. 

I’ve been in touch with Western Digital Support again; this is their suggestion to overcome the problem several of us are experiencing with their products :

Dear Mr. B… ,

**Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is S … (WD’s technician)

Please reset the My Book.
The reset button is on the back of the device.
To reset the the My Book, please follow these steps:

1. Turn off the device and disconnect all cables from the unit.
  2. Insert a paperclip or narrow tipped pen into the recovery slot on the back of the
    unit. Press and hold down the reset button.
  3. While continuing to hold down the reset button, connect the power cable to
    the back of the unit.
  4. Hold the reset button down until 10 seconds after the power/activity LED
    lights on the front of the device, then release the button. The unit may take up to
    three minutes to boot up completely.
    Note: The default user name is admin and the default password is 123456

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
S …
Western Digital Service and Support**

I feel it’s pointless to say that no change was noticed. Instruction #4 says, " … until 10 seconds after the power/activity LED lights on the front of the device …" BUT THIS IS THE VERY PROBLEM: THERE ARE NO BLUE LEDS ALIGHT !!!

I hope their expert is only trying to eliminate possible superficial problems. We’ll see ……

I’ll let you know of further developments …

Frustratedly,  quellaverde.

I’ve received another email from Western Digital Service and Support :

**"Dear quellaverde,

Thank you for your reply.

If a reboot and a reset does not bring back the drive to live, and the internal drive is still spinning, then the controller of the drive is defect.
As the warranty of the drive has already expired, you can open the casing and connect the internal drive to a computer for data recovery.
You would need a Linux system in order to recover any data, as the drive is formatted in a Linux format.
If you need help, recovering the data, please contact a data recovery company or your trusted computer store.

Sincerely,
S*****
Western Digital Service and Support"**

… at last there are positive developments in my crusade …