Nextcloudbox and Berryboot

Love it, bought the box awhile back, worked for awhile until updating, just installed Berryboot and Nextcloud 11.0
and it works flawless except… wants me to update to 11.1 updater shows permission errors and no I can no longer ssh (worked before) to the box although the ip address works fine from the browser and nextcloud APP

-R

Hi, thanks for your post. OSes provided via Berryboot installer should generally be considered not updatable via each OS’s normal update mechanism. Berryboot runs OSes on a common kernel and the remaining portion of the OS files are converted to SquashFS format. This conversion may be incompatible with each particular OS’s own update mechanism.

The author of Berryboot periodically uploads updated versions of the most popular OSes (e.g. Raspbian). The OSes in the “Featured” tab of the OS install menu are ones that WDLabs has added to the WDLabs version of Berryboot (they’re not offered in the standard version of Berryboot). Nextcloud is one of our featured OSes, and we will periodically update it based on user need, stability, etc.

The above generally describes the system but I can’t tell you the root cause of your file permission errors and loss of ssh.

We worked with Nextcloud and Canonical to create the “Nextcloud box” that runs the Nextcloud server app on Ubuntu. The current release is for R-Pi2 only and we’re working on an Ubuntu Snap version that’ll support Pi-3. While this work-in-progress is ongoing, WDLabs wanted to provide a Nextcloud solution for our customers to try on Pi-3, thus we created the Nextcloud-Raspbian version.

In addition to the Berryboot version of Nextcloud-Raspbian, we have an experimental version implemented in our NOOBS OS installer (our NOOBS version- also used in our Foundation Edition products- installs OSes onto USB storage instead of the normal version that installs onto the sdcard). In NOOBS, the OS files are not converted to SquashFS and each OS does not share the kernel or other files with other OSes. This may improve the ability to update via the OS’s normal mechanism, but I haven’t tested it on Nextcloud yet. Below is a link to the Nextcloud-Raspbian NOOBS version if you’d like to try it. Please consider it experimental.

To install, download and unzip the file below directly to the root directory of a freshly-formatted (4GB minimum) microSD card. Use SDFormatter for formatting (with options “Full Overwrite” and “Resize” enabled) and 7-Zip for unzipping the file.

Once the SDcard is ready, here’s a link to instructions for system set up:

Thanks!

HI and Thanks, I just re-installed Berryboot and Nextcloud, dumped all my
files on it and will just live without the lasted, haven’t tryed to update
or SSH to it, I did have same problem with Nextcloudbox, not doing updates
from web interface and not allowing me to Refresh Snaps etc… after ubuntu
core update.

even after months of install/update pain I am still very happy with it