Newbie with a WD My Cloud 4Tb

I think I may have fiddled a bit too much with my drive.

I posted a long question - then amazingly - just posting the question made me try something else and I sorted it out.

Couldn’t find a way to delete this post tho

Graham

Thanks for letting us know that you were able to find a solution.

BTW, what was the issue and how you manage to fix that.

That information might help other users.

Thanks.

OK- I had ‘filldled’ (like you do) before I attenpted a backup via time Machine and had somehow contrived to leave some folders on my drive.  There were a number of files within these folders that couldn’t be deleted - such as image files.

Having asked the question I discovered quite by chance that the files were locked - so unlocking them allowed me to delete them - hence the change of post.

Incidentally I also confessed that I was really peeved with my drive as my initial TimMachine backup of 800Gb took 8 days.  Then I discovered the gigabit connection on my router - doh!!  Strangely when I looked back on my setup instructions I didn’t see, or I missed any regerecne to using this.

Strangely when I looked back on my setup instructions I didn’t see, or I missed any regerecne to using this.

Page 6 of the User Manual (‘System Requirements’) stresses the need for a Gigabit Ethernet router for best performance.  For bulk data transfers, you also need a GBE link to the computer, otherwise you just move the bottleneck…  But a GBE link between router and MyCloud allows it to better serve multiple devices over your local network, however they’re connected.

8 days to transfer 800GB sounds a lot, even for a 100Mb Ethernet.  I don’t recall it taking more than a couple of days to transfer my 1.2TB media collection, and I only have a 100Mb router.

Sorry - I meant to say that when I found the solution to the sticking files I also found the solution to the long backup times.  I’d never even looked at the back of my router until then.