Newbie Question Here

Is there a way to create a foler system on the WD TV Live Hub?  What I mean here is that in “Video”, I could create folders for movies, tv shows, music videos and etc. instead of putting all of my videos under the video file?  This would be easier for me to sort out tv shows from movies, and sort out tv shows from other tv shows, and sort out seasons from other seasons.  And if I can do this, how?

Sure.   You create folders however you want them to be, and then set the FILTER to view by FOLDER instead of “ALL.”

Is there an easy way of doing this?  I have alot of videos I would like to transfer over to my WD TV Live Hub?

The easiest way is to “Mount” the Hub’s drive as a drive letter on your PC, and just make the folders there the same way you would on the computer.

NO. NO. NO.

Simply hook up your WDHUB to either your WIRED or WIRELESS network. It will appear in Windows Explorer under “Network” and you can create folders, move files etc. Do not mount it.

WIRED:

1. Hook up the Ethernet cable to your Hub/Gateway device that your computer is connected to.

2. go into SETTINGS and have it AUTO detect the network

3. Use Windows Explorer on a connected computer

WIRELESS:

same as WIRED, however it will prompt you for your CODE if your network is secured. I STRONGLY advise only using a secured wireless network.

*My WDTVLIVEHUB was attached via a USB Wi-Fi adapter (see the approved list) and it could communicate with my computer which was NOT wireless. I was surprised but my BELL GATEWAY device which has both wireless and wired networks can communicate between the two. (that also means an unsecured wireless network can be  used to hack your non-wireless PC.)

**Setup folders:

1. After the above setup, I used Windows Explorer to create “Movies”, “TV” and “Anime” folders. I then created subfolders, such as “Harry Potter” in my Movies folder.

2. I created an ISO file for each Harry Potter movie labelling “Harry Potter #1”… I used the free programs “passkey lite” and “imgburn” (start both programs, insert the DVD to rip and open Imgburn-> “DVD to Image”).

3. I find it easiest in my case to rip the ISO file directly to my USB device, then move it over but you can rip it DIRECTLY to the WDTVLIVEHUB if it’s connected on a network (about 1 hour using wi-fi or 10 minutes using Ethernet)

4. Highlight your ISO file, “options”->“contents” if you want Metadata to be added (JPG image, background, renames movie etc)

NOTE: there are several settings related to how you view and copy files. You should play around with these settings until you understand them. I usually leave it so I can VIEW and PLAY but not copy the files on a thumb drive.

Umm, why not mount it??

If you only view the HUB through your “Network” folder you can move, edit, etc., but you can’t see the space still available.

If you map the drive, then you can see the space used & space available just as if it were attached to your PC, you can also map any attached external HDD that you have attached to your HUD & it will show up that way to.

Tinwarble wrote:

Umm, why not mount it??

If you only view the HUB through your “Network” folder you can move, edit, etc., but you can’t see the space still available.

If you map the drive, then you can see the space used & space available just as if it were attached to your PC, you can also map any attached external HDD that you have attached to your HUD & it will show up that way to.

I second that…why not?  I’ve done it with no problems at all…

Photonboy wrote:

NO. NO. NO.

Thats a bit strong without an explanation.