Newbie help please network problems wd tv live

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum and I’m really hoping someone can help me out?

I have recently purchased a WD TV live media player (newest model with front and rear usb port) and I am having trouble sharing its content with my other devices in my house.

I’ll explain my setup and what I am trying to do if at all possible.

In 3 rooms of my house I have sony blueray players connected to the internet/network (all hard wired) I have a pc and I now have my wd tv live. When all are switched on my computer sees all devices, my wd see’s my computer and my blueray players see my computer which I can stream content between. What I am wanting to do is share the content from my wd tv live (I have a portable usb hard drive plugged in) with my blue ray players. I do not want to involve my pc at all. So basically I have lots of films on my hard drive that is plugged into my wd that I want to be able to view on my blue ray players around the house. Is this at all possible? I know a NAS drive could do this but I have read that this is basically a NAS drive and media player in one. If so could someone please help me out? Sorry I am very new to all this

Thanks in advance

Leon

First, I think your post is in the wrong forum. This forum is for the 2009 model WDTV Live HD and 2010 model WDTV Live Plus.

The forum for the 2011 WDTV Live Streaming Media Player is here:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Media/ct-p/wdtvlive_streaming

Second, do your Bluray players support Microsoft network “shares?”   Or do they only support DLNA connectivity?

If the former, then it should work.

If the latter, then it won’t, because the WDTV Live SMP is not a DLNA server.

It’s adding another device, but I have a Synology  212+ NAS on my network.  With media server installed on this device, it allows me to stream without having a PC on.  Lots of other features… but this is WD’s forum so I won’t get into it here.  Check it out  here.

No, I’m not affiliated in any way.  Just a good product, IMO.

thanks very much,

they are dlna type so looks like i will need a nas drive.

thanks again for your help