New WDTV Live Plus HD -- No Sound At All

Using any HDMI will work as long you do the procedure of going first the MediaFly and playing one of the video then go back to Netflix or Youtube.

I was experiencing the same issue with no audio over HDMI. Well it was a little more than that. I have LG 42" 720p TV and surround sound (via HDMI passthru). With 1.03.29 official firmware, i don’t get audio in Netflix/Youtube/Mediafly over HDMI, unless i play some .mkv file first. It was frustrating that every time i wanted to watch netflix, i had to hook up my hard drive and play something first.

Today i upgraded to 1.03.39_B beta firmware, and the problem is solved.

Thanks WD!

Hi, just wanted to share my fix experience: so, exact same problem, no sound through HDMI with new WDTV Live with new firmware 1.04. with LG tv 47LH7000. But i had same problem with my digital cable tv box, no sound through HDMI, although sound came from xbox360. The fix that helped me was upgrading firmware of my TV. Just google needed firmware you need, put it on usb stick and upgrade the tv. Done! Superb quality of 1080p MKV movies with no xbox/tversity headaches.