Background -- unit is plugged into my TV via an HDMI cable and streaming media from a USB 2.0 WD MyPassport Elite HD. The system will not play any sound -- tested via the following file types.
1) 20+ .mkv files with DTS sound -- will not play anything even when set to "Stereo" in options.
2) Loaded up some .mp3's -- no sound at all from the music files.
3) Loaded up the "sample media" on the WDTV disc -- no sound from any of those mp3's.
4) No sound from mpegs
5) No sound from AC3 converted DTS mkvs.
6) No sound from standard DVD .iso
7) No sound from Blu-Ray image isos.
Video works great. Just getting 0 sound. WDTV initially connected to a HDMI splitter box. Other device on the box would play sound perfectly to the TV set -- press the switch to bring in the WDTV and no sound at all. Tried directly connecting. No sound. Tried 5 different HDMI cables. No sound.
Sort of frustrated that I bought the newest model expecting to have the newest firmware so eliminate some potential problems and it's a paperweight out of the box so far. The TV is a LG 50PS60 1080p Plasma. Works fine with everything else.