New WD Live system that doesn't compile, why?

Hi All,

I just got my WD system and followed all of the installation instructions. The “Compiling” note came up for about 10 seconds and went away. No movie or music files were compiled. I tried to drag and drop files from my computer to the WD hub and a circle with a line through it appeared on anything I tried to drag & drop. All my files on the computer for movies and music have been downloaded from the internet and I have HDMI connected. I read from a review that the HDMI cord will not let any non-DVD files be transferred accept through a component set of cables.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any help. Glad to be part of the community.

Well, you have to have media on the drive for there to be anything to “Compile.”   That 10-second message was the compilation of the sample media.

So if you weren’t able to copy anything from your PC to the Hub, then there’s nothing more to compile.

Now, if you are SHARING your media from your PC, then you need to change the content source to your PC Share instead of the internal HD.   That’s the RED button.

I read from a review that the HDMI cord will not let any non-DVD files be transferred accept through a component set of cables.

You can’t transfer ANYTHING via HDMI or otherwise.   You have to transfer via the NETWORK, or by copying from a USB drive.

TonyPh12345,

Thanks for the possible solution. The problem is going to “PC Share” asked for a username and password which I didn’t know. I called the companies “Support Line” which is excellent (most company support **bleep**) and we had to “Reset” the unit. A new icon came up under the “Videos” header that had a box with “WD TV Live” inside it. That icon was not there before and after clicking on it, opened up the videos listing immediately just as it should. The setting that worked was the “Local Storage” setting. Thanks again as the system is AMAZING after fixing that one glitch.

Kudos to WD for being there with easy support!