New User Sticky

So, am I lost here or something? Is there a getting started/new user stick post that I should read that has comments on:

1. Differences in Ripping (ISO vs. MKV vs Other)
  2. Common/popular free software packages to do things
  3. Common Configs/Hacks
  4. What it takes to always have Title thumbnails for videos
  5. other best practices

I’m not a troll and have spent time looking at the boards but am totally lost as there should be some pretty basic primer info out there for what people actually do…or  no?  

Welcome to the forums.

You are absolutely correct.  We’re working on this (and we’ll keep your list in mind).

So, I’ll post a few thoughts then for others newbies:

To Rip your DVDs:

Free:

1. MakeMKV
  2. Handbrake

I use MakeMKV, it seems easier than Handbrkae which has many more options (like Iphone format) and different compression settings.  I don’t care much about space as disk is cheap so I go for ease of use.

Open Questions:

Am I missing some other value of Handbrake?

What about Nero, AnyDVD and the for-fee options? What’s the value statement for those packages?

Is there a way to keep Chapter information so I can togo the next chapter?

Since disk is cheep, can I just ISO (folder2iso) an image? This didn’t work for some Pixar movies, but I figure it’s 'cause those guys are smarter than freeware. 

It seems like there a constant problem fetching images. When I burn a DVD I always quickly image Google the DVD title and grab the thumbnail. I put the .jpg in the main directory for my disk as well as the directory where I save all the files that are MKV-ed. The file name is the same as the .mkv file. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Questions:

Is this the same problem that everyone has?

Isn’t there an easier way of doing this? IMDB api or something?

Since I’m using a USB drive, Is there a way to give the USB folder an image?

Since I only have one USB drive connected, is there a way to streamline out the extra menu selection to choose USB2?

Best Practices:

I find that I really don’t need/want subtitles, So I remove them when I run MKV, I wonder if there is an automatic way to do that.

Is there a way to have a list of all “current running” videos, so that I can see where I left off of all videos I have?

I have many, many DVDs. If I burn them to say, a TB disk, and the disk blows, I’m sentenced to recopying everything again. No question, this just scares me.

amarkson wrote:

If I burn them to say, a TB disk, and the disk blows, I’m sentenced to recopying everything again. No question, this just scares me.

One hint: Backup …:wink:

Cocovanna

amarkson wrote:

Since disk is cheep,

I have many, many DVDs. If I burn them to say, a TB disk, and the disk blows, I’m sentenced to recopying everything again. No question, this just scares me.

You answer your own problem here – buy TWO separate TB discs and use the first as a backup of the second.  Disks are cheap – having to redo all that work is not (assuming that you feel, as I do, that time is money).

For regular DVDs (which I don’t do anymore) and the Live Handbrake isn’t much needed.