New user - saying my drives are BAD?

Hello,

I purchased a My Cloud EX2 with two 4TB Red Nas drives. I ran a system disk test and one of the drives failed, saying “BAD” in other words. I switched the drives into their opposite slots and received the same error for the same “BAD” drive. At this point I went and purchased another 4TB drive and now this new drive is also saying its BAD… Whats going on here? Any suggestions on what I can try or what the problem might be? I dont have much experience, this is my first MyCloud device.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hello,

Make sure the latest firmware is installed on your My Cloud EX2. If so, take the internal drive out of the enclosure and connect it directly to a computer in order to run a diagnostic test with the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics tool. This will help you to determine if you are having issues with the hard drives or the device itself.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=940

Hi, Thanks for the reply. How do I connect the internal drives to my computer without using the device? I’m assuming I need some type of adapter cord?

You can connect the drives directly to the computer by using a SATA cable or SATA/USB adapter.

Did you managed to solve Your problem?
I have exactly the same problem. WD EX2 is reporting one disk failure while when I connected disk directly to a computer and checked using Cristal Disk disk condition is good. Is it problem with my NAS?

Hello, I am having the same problem. My WD EX2 after, a year of very small usage reported disk 2 bad. I bought EX2 with 2 new WD 4TB Red discs. When I connect the disc directly to a computer with HUB and run tests with Western Digital Dashboard and Seagate SeaTools, from both tools I got the message that the health of the discs is Good. But when I put them in EX2 the same problem. I tried to format them and start from the beginning, but it had the same problem. I cant create RAID 1 because disc 2 is BAD.

Please help!!!