New user / moving network

Hi all!

I’m a new user (just recieved the device in the mail minutes ago) and I have a few questions before I get started with it.

Basicaly I want to setup the NAS (users/folders/etc) and transfer data from this network and desktop computer to it right now, then I want to take it home with my to my parents next week and hook it up to their LAN / install WD software on their laptop and leave it there to access it over the internet when I return.

Is it possible to just plug it into a different router and keep all the settings and date?

Kind regards and apologies if i’m asking a stupid question that was answered already, I could find anything about it!

So basically you just want to connect the My Cloud to your parents network once in a while?

Sure that’s possible, all your settings will remain the same and the date too (your timezone settings will remain the same). The network IP might be different in both cases though.

Thanks for your reply!

I wasnt sure because someone told me because of the different router IP the drive would not be accessible without resetting it and losing all setup information.

Use the links below for more information.

On this one look at the tab My Cloud │ How it Works.

http://content.webcollage.net/apps/cs/mini-site/bestbuy/module/wdc/wcpc/1380204748603/tab/demo-eebd01c1?enable-reporting=true&showtabs=&channel-product-id=1219079080973

This is the User Manual.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

epsilon_be wrote:

Thanks for your reply!

I wasnt sure because someone told me because of the different router IP the drive would not be accessible without resetting it and losing all setup information.

Well, he’s partially right. If you selected a static IP in the settings, the drive MIGHT not be accessible by default (This happens when your home network configurations are different for example 192.168.0.X and 192.168.1.X). It can still be accessed though if you force your computer to have a home network IP that’s in the same subnet… But a reset is NEVER necessary 

However if you selected an automatic IP, the My Cloud will adapt it’s ip settings to the new location. In this case you can always access your device with http://wdmycloud/UI/

And if you change the ip of your router?

DavidSucesso wrote:
And if you change the ip of your router?

That wouldn’t matter as long as it’s on the same subnet (only the last number of the ip adress changes). For example 192.168.0.1 changes to 192.168.0.100. In this case your My Cloud will still be accessible with the same adress.

However, like I mentioned above, if the subnet changes (192.168.0.1 changes to 192.168.1.1), you will need to force your pc to the same subnet as the My Cloud to access it and update the ip settings.

If you change the router IP and are using DHCP there is no issue.

If you chage the router IP and are using static IP you will need to update the gateway (router) IP.

if you are using static IP you will probably need to update the DNS settings too