New to WDTV Live. Couple questions

I ripped 3 different br discs using makemkv to an external hdd. Plugged in the exhdd using usb to the smp. Two of them the smp said there were no files in the folders. The other movie it started playing and then stopped all the sudden, said the device disconnected. I played it again and it would not play and said the file format is not supported. Am i doing something wrong?

JoeySmyth wrote:

Thanks Mike, i may try it one day

The ratings are a bit low  :cry: … Google PlayStore 3.1 - itunes Store 2.5

Joey,  I am surprised by your response.  You have been involved in these things long enough to know that the majority of negative reviews for anything are from people who are “gadget-challenged” and many of them can barely tie their shoes as well.  Look, I told you it is a good app that I use all the time in iOS and Kindle formats.  Pearl has said the same, as well as others here.  Download and use the free Twonky Beam app for yourself so you can start enjoying TB and eat your words!  :wink:

+1 for TB, thanks to Mike for turning me on to it.

I can use it to stream movies from my Nexus 7 to either WD Device or Roku, but my favorite part is being able to stream videos from Websites to my TV, and even queue them up. I regularly to to the website of my favorite NFL team, queue up all the videos and interviews of the day and the send them to the TV through my HUB. Works great, and plays them one after another in a row. Great way to push videos from Web Pages that there are no apps for. Prior to TB, I had to use a computer connected to my TV to watch the those videos in a browser, and start each one individually when the last one was over. With 10-15 short vids it was a pain.

-P

mike27oct wrote:

JoeySmyth wrote:

Thanks Mike, i may try it one day

The ratings are a bit low  :cry: … Google PlayStore 3.1 - itunes Store 2.5

Joey,  I am surprised by your response.  You have been involved in these things long enough to know that the majority of negative reviews for anything are from people who are “gadget-challenged” and many of them can barely tie their shoes as well.  Look, I told you it is a good app that I use all the time in iOS and Kindle formats.  Pearl has said the same, as well as others here.  Download and use the free Twonky Beam app for yourself so you can start enjoying TB and eat your words!  :wink:

Geez, i was just stating user rating scores … don’t take it personally  :stuck_out_tongue:

I ripped 3 different br discs using makemkv to an external hdd. Plugged in the exhdd using usb to the smp. Two of them the smp said there were no files in the folders. The other movie it started playing and then stopped all the sudden, said the device disconnected. I played it again and it would not play and said the file format is not supported. Am i doing something wrong?

Would i just be better off ripping bd to iso for the ex hdd?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/Intention-to-finalize-a-rear-USB-port-issue-drives-USB-3-0/td-p/392589/highlight/true

Joey >>>  Geez, i was just stating user rating scores … don’t take it personally 

I do not take your comment personally at all, but I do think you may be taking the low ratings at face value. and it taints your opinion of the app.  They are not indicative of the quality of the app.  All I suggest is that you try the app yourself.  I know (especially) you will not have any problems with it.

Ok, thanks.  I won’t use the rear USB port.

Generally speaking, do most people prefer to rip to ISO or MKV files if you plan on playing them back on a USB external HDD?  Or does it even matter?  No menus, just straight main movie.

Without menus tt makes no difference other than the ISO container being less efficient so with the same streams inside, the ISO will be larger than the MKV.

True, but I prefer menus – especially for discs that have multi chapters, say a documentary. or a collection of short videos, etc.  There is lots more flexibility with ISO.  I just make the ISO and be done with it.  No pulling out each part to convert to a mkv.

Well, blanker did ask about no menus, main movie only. And on BDs, the difference between ISOs and MKVs can be substantial.

I have gone back to menus and full BD ISOs the last couple of weeks, mostly for 3D Blurays.

So using a combination of PowerDVD, XBMC…

I cannot beleive how much time I have lost, and still am unable to fluidly move between playing Mkv files and ISO’s with menus.

It really makes me understand how simple the Hub is, yes XBMC is nice to look at using the daily Gotham builds and Aeon MQ5 is unlike anything you will get with a decent standalone media player, but when it boils down to it, I have spent more time faffing about than watching anything.

TF>>> Well, blanker did ask about no menus, main movie only. And on BDs, the difference between ISOs and MKVs can be substantial.

Yep, it is substantial, and I do make mkv files for single movie BDs, because that is the only way my Live Plus can play them.  BDs with episodes, etc, I just play the BD;  I have better things to do than to extract each episode to make an mkv for each one.  Besides, I don’t have an aversion to actually playing BD discs!

MakeMKV does not make much of a difference between ripping one movie or several eps. And sticking with BDs only works so well, if the main movie is not split over several m2ts.

So, I watched Place beyond the pines last night.  I enjoyed it.  Different kind of movie. I digest…

I ripped it to bdmv and then used makeMKV and put it on my external hdd (which is a repurposed 7200RPM seagate that was used for an OS, wiped, and put in a Rosewill enclosure).

Plugged it into the front usb port and it played well until I tried to rewind.  The player would not respond to any remote commands and then the menu came up as if it was going to rewind and the menu froze on the screen.  Had to power cycle the wdtv.  It then played fine.  FF/RW seemed to have only one speed.  What’s the final word on forced subs, will they work with my method?

They won’t work cause WD still hasn’t bothered to read the flags properly. Mux the forced stream as the first audio and flag it default:yes and forced:yes. If your WDTV is set to subs on, they will be shown, if not, you need to turn them on with the remote.