New Setup - Password Won't Work - I'm in trouble!

So I just purchased My Book, plugged it in and set up a password … that I wrote down and carefully entered twice and it matched. Then I went to update my security and it asked for the password and now it will not accept it. I know it can’t be recovered so can someone please tell me how to start over with the setup and backup from the beginning?

Thanks for your help!

If you fail the password input 5 times, the system will ask you if you want to reformat the drive and start over. You will lose any data you had on the drive if you reformat.

Now, if you backed up data to the drive, and then couldn’t access anymore with the password, that would mean one of a couple of things happened.

1. You may have disconnected the drive without safely removing it first, thereby causing the drive to be corrupted. That will especially happen if you do it right after copying data over to the drive.
  2. You copied over a corrupted file. Less chance of that causing this issue, but it’s still possible.
  3. The USB cable wasn’t connected correctly, or is no longer any good. That could likewise cause corruption with the transfer.